- Evolution of Scaling Emergence in Large-Scale Spatial Epidemic Spreading. Wang, Lin; Li, Xiang; Zhang, Yi-Qing; Zhang, Yan; Zhang, Kan // PLoS ONE;2011, Vol. 6 Issue 7, p1
Background: Zipf's law and Heaps' law are two representatives of the scaling concepts, which play a significant role in the study of complexity science. The coexistence of the Zipf's law and the Heaps' law motivates different understandings on the dependence between these two scalings, which has...
- Thinking big in ecology. Nee, Sean // Nature;5/16/2002, Vol. 417 Issue 6886, p229
Focuses on the conjunctions between studies in ecology and evolution. Diversity of species towards tropical areas; Influence of solar energy on diversity; Information on neutral theories.
- Preface. Romeo, John // Journal of Chemical Ecology;Mar2014, Vol. 40 Issue 3, p211
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various essays within the issue on topics including chemical ecology, evolutionary processes, and impact of technology on scientific research.
- Reviews on books, internet and scientific media. Grosbois, Anne // Environmental Earth Sciences;Aug2011, Vol. 63 Issue 7/8, p1931
A review of the article ''Anthropocene: Have humans created a new geological age?,'' by Anne Marie de Grosbois, which appeared in the online news article of the BBC News: Science and Environment on May 10, 2011 issue is presented.
- Evolution of age specific dispersal: a general discussion from the standpoint of the invasion fitness concept. Johst, Karin; Brandl, Roland // Web Ecology;2000, Vol. 1 Issue 1, p82
The age of dispersers is one of the important factors influencing the ecology and evolution of dispersal. Explanations in textbooks assume special social or genetic advantages to predict the dispersing age class. However, recent theoretical results suggest that age specific dispersal can evolve...
- Books received. // Heredity;Apr99, Vol. 82 Issue 4, p472
Presents a list of books received in the journal 'Heredity.' 'Evolution in Health and Disease,' edited by Stephen C. Stearns; 'Island Biographyâ€”Ecology, Evolution and Conservation,' by Robert J. Whittaker; 'The Origins of Life: From the Birth of Life to the Origin of Language,' by John...
- On the Geographical Ecology and Evolution of the Three-toed Woodpeckers, Picoides tridactylus and P. arcticus Bock, Jane H.; Bock, Carl E. // American Midland Naturalist;Oct1974, Vol. 92 Issue 2, p397
No abstract available.
- Rapid evolution drives ecological dynamics in a predator-prey system. Yoshida, Takehito; Jones, Laura E.; Ellner, Stephen P.; Fussmann, Gregor F.; Hairston, Nelson G. // Nature;7/17/2003, Vol. 424 Issue 6946, p303
Ecological and evolutionary dynamics can occur on similar timescales. However, theoretical predictions of how rapid evolution can affect ecological dynamics are inconclusive and often depend on untested model assumptions. Here we report that rapid prey evolution in response to oscillating...
- Sea Life 'Facing Major Shock,' Researchers Report. // Sea Technology;Oct2012, Vol. 53 Issue 10, p72
The article focuses on a study conducted by marine scientists published in the August 2012 issue of "Trends in Ecology and Evolution," which found that life in the world's oceans faces greater change and risk of large-scale extinctions than at any previous time in human history.