In the realm of diplomacy and fish: some reflections on the International Convention on High Seas Fisheries in the North Pacific Ocean and the Law of the Sea negotiations
- THE POLITICS OF DETERRENCE. DeSilva-Ranasinghe, Sergei // Naval Forces;2012, Vol. 33 Issue 5, p91
The article reports that Pakistan is upgrading its naval forces to strengthen its strategy of deterrence with India which has built up its navy as of 2012. It highlights Pakistan's focus on the use of naval diplomacy to project its regional influence. The country's modernisation of its navy is...
- Bluefish limit becomes law. // Salt Water Sportsman;Sep94, Vol. 55 Issue 9, Atlantic edition pG
Reports on the effectivity of the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission's (AMSFC) Bluefish Plan for limits on recreational fishing.
- The Future of Europe's Fisheries: Towrads a 2020 Vision. Symes, David // Geography;Oct2001, Vol. 86 Issue 4, p318
Focuses on the review of the Common Fisheries Policy (CFP) of the European Union in 2002 that provides an opportunity for fundamental changes. Criticism of the CFP; Reform of the CFP; Discussion on restructuring Europe's fishing industries.
- Newslines: WORLD AND NATIONAL. // Salt Water Sportsman;Nov2001, Vol. 62 Issue 11, p54
Presents news briefs on fishery legislation and other information on the fishing industry as of November 2001.
- Lines are tangled on the open seas. Thomas, Trevor // Business News New Jersey;08/24/98, Vol. 11 Issue 30, p4
Focuses on the conflict between the commercial fishing industry and sports anglers and charter boat owners in New Jersey. Industry's battle against a state law banning fisherman from fishing striped bass; Legislation limiting commercial fishermen's catch of menhaden, a bait fish; Industry's...
- DIPLOMACY FROM BELOW AND BELONGING: FISHERMEN AND CROSS-CHANNEL RELATIONS IN THE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY. Morieux, Renaud // Past & Present;Feb2009, Vol. 202 Issue 1, p83
The article focuses on the relations between French and English fisherman and the cross-channel relations in the 18th century. Accordingly, fishing truces demonstrate the ways in which ordinary people in France and England intervened in international politics. It illustrates how cross-channel...
- THE PERIL OF SOVIET "FRIENDSHIP" PACTS. Von Habsburg, Otto // Saturday Evening Post;May/Jun1977, Vol. 249 Issue 4, p21
Deals with the treaty between Russia and Central European satellite countries in 1976. Effect of the treaty on the international balance of power both in Europe and in Africa; Significance of the treaty; Importance of the treaty; Information on the propaganda of the Soviet Union in Germany...
- New international push on illegal fishing. // Professional Fisherman;Aug2003, Vol. 25 Issue 10, p12
Reports on the commitment of fisheries ministers from most of the world's fishing nations to mount a concerted challenge to illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing on the high seas. Unanimous agreement of nations to work together to tighten flag state procedures, strengthen vessel...
- The Catch. Robbins, Michael W. // Mother Jones;Mar/Apr2006, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p49
The article focuses on the issues surrounding the commercial fishing regulations in the U.S. Fishing is heavily regulated by the federal government. The regulations, however, seem to favor the business and financial interests over conservation. Another issue at hand is the conservation and...