- When it comes to recycling, money makes the difference. Brunell, Don // Journal of Business (10756124);12/9/2004, Vol. 19 Issue 25, pA4
Comments on the recycling policy and trends of Washington state. Reuse of 38% of whatever normally would go to the landfill; Reasons for the state's recycling strategy; Challenges in recycling.
- EU waste hierarchy could threaten manufacturers' materials choice. // Food Manufacture;Oct2006, Vol. 81 Issue 10, p20
The article reports on the proposal of European Union to inclose a fixed five-stage waste hierarchy in Great Britain. The waste hierarchy decreases the recycling and other recovery options is mixing feathers among converters and users of packaging. Its prime concern seems to be that local and...
- Single-stream trend continues. // Resource Recycling;May2008, Issue 5, p9
The article presents newsbriefs about the programs in action for single-stream process in recycling. Baton Rouge in Louisiana has switched to the process and officials are reporting the outcome of this project. The city of Hartford in Connecticut was selected as the pilot city for the National...
- How to be free. Hodgkinson, Tom // Ecologist;Apr2007, Vol. 37 Issue 3, p66
The author comments on the issue of recycling schemes. He says the recycling mania is just as bad. Trotskyite councils fine people who do not recycle in the approved fashion. But recycling involves a huge amount of unnecessary work. He argues that the answer is not in national recycling schemes,...
- THE TRUTH ABOUT RECYCLING. // Rachel's Democracy & Health News;6/28/2007, Issue 913, p4
The article offers information on the importance of recycling. According to the author, recycling efforts have increased as the volume of municipal waste has increased. A review of 55 life-cycle analyses was done by the Technical University of Denmark and the Danish Topic Centre on Waste, which...
- Communities Push for Zero Waste. Holderbach, Patrice R. // Mother Earth News;Aug/Sep2005, Issue 211, p24
Focuses on the submission of a resolution establishing a goal of zero waste by the Berkeley city council in California. Efforts of the city's Solid Waste Commission to promote recycling and reduce city waste; Countries with similar zero waste initiatives; Concept of a zero waste program.
- TRENDS. // Waste News;10/11/2004, Vol. 10 Issue 12, p1
This article focuses on a report by European recyclers which says that the rate of paper recovery is on the rise. It presents data for the years 2002, 2003 and 2005.
- 20 YEARS AGO. // Resource Recycling;Mar2008, Vol. 27 Issue 3, p13
The article describes the curbside recycling program implemented in Seattle, Washington in 1988. The program, known then as the largest and most ambitious curbside venture, provided services to 153,000 households in Seattle, including single-family households, duplexes, triplexes and fourplexes....
- Recycling chooses the road to sustainable practices (part one). Whitsett, Beth // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;2/2/2004, Vol. 33 Issue 32, p13
Discusses several recycling practices in the U.S. Average weight of solid waste generated by a U.S. citizen for a day; Percentage of waste that can be recycled according to the Annenburg Foundation; Companies that recycle in Utah; Information on recycling landfills.