KWASHIORKOR IN INDIA
- Kwashiorkor. Ramachandran, Prema // Indian Journal of Medical Research;Jul2012, Vol. 136 Issue 1, p108
The article offers information on kwashiorkor, which refers to a nutritional syndrome characterized by oedema, dermatosis, diarrhoea and fatty liver. It cites research studies on this topic carried out in India. Particular focus is given to a paper by Gopalan and colleagues, which found that...
- KWASHIORKOR A NUTRITIONAL DISEASE OF CHILDREN ASSOCIATED WITH A MAIZE DIET. Williams, Cicely D.; Oxon, B.M. // Bulletin of the World Health Organization;2003, Vol. 81 Issue 12, p912
Provides insights into kwashiorkor. Appearance of swelling of the hands, feet and face; Attacks of diarrhea; Trace of albumin in the urine; Differences between kwashiorkor and pellagra; Differential diagnosis.
- Under-five protein energy malnutrition admitted at the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu: a 10 year retrospective review. Ubesie, Agozie C.; Ibeziako, Ngozi S.; Ndiokwelu, Chika I.; Uzoka, Chinyeaka M.; Nwafor, Chinelo A. // Nutrition Journal;2012, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p43
Objective: To determine the prevalence, risk factors, co-morbidities and case fatality rates of Protein Energy Malnutrition (PEM) admissions at the paediatric ward of the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital Enugu, South-east Nigeria over a 10 year period. Design: A retrospective study using...
- A 16-month-old female presents with lethargy and edema. Brien, James H. // Infectious Diseases in Children;Jan2011, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p16
The article describes the case of a 16-month female diagnosed with Kwashiorkor.
- AFRICA NEEDS LIFESAVING HIGH-LYSINE CORN. SerVaas, Cory // Saturday Evening Post;Mar85, Vol. 257 Issue 2, p58
Emphasizes the need for high-lysine corn in the diet of starving children in Ethiopia. Predominance of kwashiorkor malnutrition in children; Prevention of kwashiorkor by providing children with high-lysine corn instead of regular corn; Importance of lysine in the diet; Debilitation and death...
- Cutaneous presentation of kwashiorkor due to infantile Crohn's disease. Al-Mubarak, Luluah; Al-Khenaizan, Sultan; Goufi, Talal Al // European Journal of Pediatrics;Jan2010, Vol. 169 Issue 1, p117
Kwashiorkor is one of the severe forms of protein-energy malnutrition. Many characteristic dermatoses can be seen in children suffering from kwashiorkor, and some are pathognomonic. Here, we report an infant who presented with diarrhea and skin signs of kwashiorkor, and duodenal biopsy was...
- Hypothermia in Children with Severe Malnutrition: Low Prevalence on the Tropical Coast of Kenya. Talbert, Alison; Atkinson, Sarah; Karisa, Japhet; Ignas, James; Chesaro, Charles; Maitland, Kathryn // Journal of Tropical Pediatrics;Dec2009, Vol. 55 Issue 6, p413
Hypothermia is stated as a common complication of severe malnutrition although there are little primary data to support this. We performed a prospective study of children with severe acute malnutrition (SAM) admitted to a district hospital in Kenya. We documented the prevalence of hypothermia...
- Stomach this... faecal transplants reveal gut bug menace. // New Scientist;2/9/2013, Vol. 217 Issue 2903, p19
The article discusses a study by Jeffrey Gordon at Washington University in St Louis, Missouri, and colleagues in a 2013 issue of "Science" magazine investigating a severe form of malnutrition, called kwashiorkor, that found gastrointestinal microbes restricted calorie availability.
- kwaÂ·shiÂ·orÂ·kor. // American Heritage Student Science Dictionary;2009, p194
A definition of the term "kwashiorkor," is presented. It refers to a disease, usually of children, caused by lack of protein in the diet, resulting in swelling of the limbs, enlargement of the liver, potbelly, reduced growth and change in the color of skin and hair.