Proximate and Mineral Composition of Nigerian Leafy Vegetables
- Fungal Endophytes of Some Green Leafy Vegetables. Kumaresan, V.; Veeramohan, R.; Shrivastava, P.; Deepika, R.; Suganya, M.; Vennila, S.; Datchayani, A.; Kalpana, P. // World Journal of Agricultural Sciences;Nov2013, Vol. 9 Issue 6, p415
Twenty one species of endophytes were recorded from three green leafy vegetables viz., Amaranthus dubius, Hibiscus sabdariffa and Moringa oleifera. Aureobasidium sp. 1, Phyllosticta sp. and Nigrospora sp. were dominant forms. Seven sterile forms were recorded as endophytes. The similarity...
- Other greens pale next to purslane. // Environmental Nutrition;Mar1993, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p3
Reports on the nutritive value of the green leafy plant purslane. Availability; Nutrients; Mixing with salads.
- Grow a rainbow of leafy edibles. Poncavage, Joanna // Organic Gardening (08973792);Feb95, Vol. 42 Issue 2, p38
Presents information on varieties of leafy vegetables in the United States. Lollo Rossa; Red oakleaf; Battavia lettuces; Radicchio; Russian kale; Endives; Mustard greens; Flower and herb species. INSETS: Plant early and often.;Foiling your flea beetles, by J.P..
- How green is your salad? // Shape;Apr94, Vol. 13 Issue 8, p94
Features various edible greens. White to pale-green greens; Medium-green greens; Greenest greens.
- Green foods aren't yucky--just good for ya'! Turner, Lisa // Better Nutrition;Sep97, Vol. 59 Issue 9, p32
Focuses on green foods and their nutritional value. Identification of the three main categories of green foods; Background information on the vitamins contained in green foods; Reference to green drinks.
- Turn a new leaf. Malloy, Julia // Better Homes & Gardens;Jun96, Vol. 74 Issue 6, p216
Offers a variety of leafy vegetables as a substitute for lettuce, in making a salad dish. Indications of nutrition value of the leaves; Names of several salad alternatives; Appearance of each leaf; Flavor of each alternative.
- Influence of spent mushroom compost (SMC) of Pleurotus ostreatus on the yield and nutrient compositions of Telfairia occidentalis Hook .F.A. (Pumpkin) ,a Nigerian leafy vegetable. Jonathan, S. G.; Oyetunji, O. J.; Asemoloye, M. A. // Nature & Science;Oct2012, Vol. 10 Issue 10, p149
The potted pumpkin plants studied were harvested after twelve weeks and the results obtained showed that Telfairia occidentalis planted on 30% SMC soil had the best growth followed by 20%, 50%, 0% and 100% SMC (in respect to plant height, leaf number, stem girth, and leaf area). The Biological...
- Popeye power. // Health & Fitness Magazine;Oct2015, p23
The article presents a study published in a late 2015 issue of "Journal of the American College of Nutrition," which showed that the thylakoids found in spinach reduce hunger and cravings for food.
- Antioxidant components and their in vitro bioaccessibility in processed and stored chickpea and amaranth greens mix. Oghbaei, M.; Prakash, J. // Croatian Journal for Food Technology, Biotechnology & Nutrition ;2015, Vol. 10 Issue 1/2, p44
The effect of processing and storage on antioxidant components and their in vitro bioaccessibility in chickpea and amaranth greens mix prepared with decorticated chickpea (Cicer arietinum) and green leaves of amaranth (Amaranthus caudatus) was investigated in this study. Food mix was cooked and...