Horizontal Violence in Nursing
- Nurses behaving badly. Raymond, Martha K. // RN;Aug2008, Vol. 71 Issue 8, p9
The author discusses horizontal violence in the nursing profession. She says that horizontal violence among nurses happens when emotional and verbal attacks are experienced by a new registered nurse (RN). She mentions the impact of this violence on nurses. She also explains the reasons for the...
- Charge Nurses' Experiences With Horizontal Violence: Implications for Leadership Development. Longo, Joy; Cassidy, Linda; Sherman, Rose // Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing;Nov2016, Vol. 47 Issue 11, p493
Background: A safe work environment is a prerequisite for the provision of high-quality patient care. Horizontal violence can undermine the culture of safety and the well-being of the nurses in the work unit. Charge nurses, whose role encompasses both staff and manager responsibilities, play an...
- The "Main Thing" Fuller, Willa // Florida Nurse;Sep2013, Vol. 61 Issue 3, p2
In this article, the author offers suggestions to avoid horizontal violence in nursing profession in order to increase advocacy, caring and quality patient care.
- IN PRAISE OF HOSPITAL-TRAINED NURSES. // Kai Tiaki Nursing New Zealand;May2006, Vol. 12 Issue 4, p4
A letter to the editor is presented about the horizontal violence being perpetrated against senior nursing students.
- CNE QUIZ. // Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing;Nov2016, Vol. 47 Issue 11, p500
A quiz concerning the experiences of nurses on horizontal violence and its impact on leadership development is presented.
- 'The student nurse of today is the staff nurse of tomorrow' Peate, Ian // British Journal of Nursing;6/14/2012, Vol. 21 Issue 11, p641
In this article the author reflects on horizontal violence in health care settings which is addressed towards student nurses by experienced nurses. He suggests that evidence provided by student nurses suggests that horizontal violence occurs on a regular basis. He argues that horizontal violence...
- Nurse Hazing: A Costly Reality. Brown, Lana; Middaugh, Donna // MEDSURG Nursing;Sep/Oct2009, Vol. 18 Issue 5, p305
The article discusses the issue of horizontal violence among nurses in the workplace setting. The author describes horizontal violence as being similar to the phenomena of hazing at universities. Various behaviors which can encompass horizontal violence among nurses are described including...
- Prepare students for violence. // Australian Nursing Journal;Sep2004, Vol. 12 Issue 3, p17
Reports on the results of a survey concerning covert horizontal violence against nurses in New Zealand in 2004. Number of graduate nurses who participated in the study; Percentage of respondents who reported serious violent incidents; Views of Jane O'Malley, national president of the New...
- Notes from the Executive Director. Horizontal Violence and Safety and Quality of Care: Perspectives of a Former Target. Fuller, Willa // Florida Nurse;Jun2014, Vol. 62 Issue 2, p2
In this article, the author discusses her experience of first day at kindergarten and college nursing. Topics discussed including the relationship between horizontal violence and patient outcomes, the impacts of horizontal violence on nurses on care and the policies adopted to address issues of...