Dreadful Deed In The Caribbean
- Dredger wreck blocks port. // DPC: Dredging & Port Construction;May99, Vol. 26 Issue 5, p3
States that Long Chau which collided with a general cargo vessel at the port of Haiphong in Vietnam and capsized, has become a major hazard to shipping in the area. Agencies that removed the wreck of the dredger; Expectation on the salvage work; Information on Haiphong.
- Heavy lift and dredging forces combine for Western Scheldt wreck removal project. // DPC: Dredging & Port Construction;Aug99, Vol. 26 Issue 8, p4
Reports on the wreck removal contract awarded to Combinatie Wrakkenruiming vof by the Dutch government to clear wrecks from the Western Scheldt. Details of the contract; Location of the wrecks; Equipment that will be dredged.
- Westerschelde Wreck Removed Completed. // DPC: Dredging & Port Construction;Apr2004, p9
Reports on the completion of the clearing project for the Westerschelde's navigation channel of wrecks and debris. Aim of the project to improve the accessibility to the Port of Antwerp; Recognition of the removal of 53 objects from the channel using a floating crane and lift vessels; Inclusion...
- Gone, But Not Forgotten. Auer, Jens; McKenna, Labhoise; Gribble, John // DPC: Dredging & Port Construction;Mar2006, p24
The article presents an account of the Wrecks on the Seabed Project launched by Wessex Archaeology in 2002 to provide offshore industry, regulators and contractors with guidance on the archaeological assessment, evaluation and recording of wreck sites in areas subject to seabed development. The...
- Raising The Sunken Dutchman. Ekman, Marjo; Suominen, Tarja // DPC: Dredging & Port Construction;Mar2006, p27
The article presents an account of dredging work off the coast of Pikisaari in Finland under the supervision of the Finnish National Board of Antiquities (NBA) which was designed to preserve the remains of the Dutch merchant ship that sank there in 1738. The Port of Turku worked with the NBA's...
- Scanning The Seabed. Lanckneus, Jean; De Jonghe, Erwin // DPC: Dredging & Port Construction;Mar2007, p12
The article reports on the importance of hydrographic tools to dredging contractors for locating aggregates, wrecks and navigation hazards. Side-scan sonar is the most suitable tool when searching for seabed debris. A new methods for describing seabed morphology was provided by multibeam...
- Topical Projects. // DPC: Dredging & Port Construction;Dec2004, p31
This article informs that the Rostok Wreck Removal Consortium, made up of Ternuezen-base Multraship Salvage, U.S. firm Titan Maritime and Romanian dredging Lontractors Deltacons are removing the wreck of the 4,497gt Rostok from the Romanian section of the River Danube. The three-month project...
- Maritime Archaeology and Trans-Oceanic Trade: A Case Study of the Oranjemund Shipwreck Cargo, Namibia. Chirikure, Shadreck; Sinamai, Ashton; Goagoses, Esther; Mubusisi, Marina; Ndoro, W. // Journal of Maritime Archaeology;Jun2010, Vol. 5 Issue 1, p37
Routine sand dredging for alluvial diamonds at Oranjemund on the southern coast of Namibia exposed remnants of a long forgotten Portuguese merchant ship believed to have wrecked in the 1530s. The rescue excavations yielded over 40 tons of cargo consisting of thousands of gold and silver coins,...
- Some Notable Shipwrecks Since 1854. // World Almanac & Book of Facts;2000, p236
No abstract available.