Houston School Officials Push Retirement to Curb Shortfall
- WISD offers resignation incentive to teachers. Cottongame, Shannon // Lakelander (Whitney, TX);3/2/2011, Vol. 25 Issue 9, p1
The article reports that Whitney Independent School District (ISD) in Texas is offering incentives to teachers who will resign early in 2011, a move which reflects the effort of Whitney to find ways to reduce the budget amidst the plan of the Texas Legislature to cut around 10 billion dollars in...
- Budget Pressures Churn Workforce. Cavanagh, Sean // Education Week;8/31/2011, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p1
The article discusses budget-cuts to school districts and resulting rearrangement of employees in order to avoid hiring new employees and encouragement of early retirement in order to avoid layoffs. The article provides examples such as the appointment of counselor Amy Salazar as a school...
- Across New York, no escape from budget pain. SAUNDERS, SYLVIA // NYSUT United;May2011, Vol. 1 Issue 9, p10
The article focuses on the approach of school districts in New York for budget plans. It states that the Big Five districts prepare budget plans which will go before voters on May 17, 2011. It mentions that the local unions are renewing contracts to create cost savings in order to avoid layoffs...
- School District Sued Over Early Retirement Incentive Plan. McGuinness, Kevin // Plan Sponsor News;2014, p12
The article reports on the lawsuit filed by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) at the District Court for the District of Arizona against the state's Murphy School District on allegations that the school district unlawfully used an early retirement incentive plan.
- Time will tell. // Crain's Cleveland Business;8/26/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 34, p8
Comments on the approval of the Retirement Incentive Program in Cuyahoga County, Ohio. Arguments regarding the importance of the incentive program; Reason for the increasing rate of unemployment; Need for balance in the budget by the local government.
- Buyouts for State Workers. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;8/9/2011, Vol. 377 Issue 33562, p7
The article reports that Kansas state has offered incentives which induces state workers to retire early in an effort in reducing the payroll by 4,000 from the 23,000 workers.
- Oyster Bay eyes retirement incentive program. // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);06/29/98, Vol. 45 Issue 26, p4B
Reports that a retirement incentive program for employees of the town of Oyster Bay in Long Island, New York will be the subject of a public hearing by the Oyster Bay Town Board on July 7, 1998.
- Early retirement--who can afford it?. Flower, Ruth // Academe;Jul/Aug97, Vol. 83 Issue 4, p51
Presents information on the Voluntary Early Retirement Incentive Plans (VERIPs), offered by institutions to enable or encourage faculty members to retire. Information on the Older Workers Benefit Act; Details on a hearing held by the House Subcommittee on Employer-Employee Relations on May 22,...
- Oyster Bay to save millions with retirement incentive. // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);07/13/98, Vol. 45 Issue 28, p21A
Reports on the potential savings to be generated from Oyster Bay, New York's retirement incentive program.