Wrongful Discharge for Pay-Complaint Discussions
- Court bars worker's termination. Greenwald, Judy // Business Insurance;7/22/2002, Vol. 36 Issue 29, p3
Focuses on the lawsuit between program manager Sharron D. Grant-Burton and Covenant Care Corp. in California. Accounts on the rulings of the appellate court; Termination of Grant-Burton from the company; Recognition on the rights of employees to join discussion with other employees concerning...
- Discussions Regarding Bonuses are Not Permissible Basis for Terminating Employment. Allen, Jamerson C. // Venulex Legal Summaries;2003 Q1, p1
The article deals with the ruling of the California Court of Appeal in the case Grant-Burton v. Covenant Care Inc. The court considered whether terminating an employee for discussing an employer's bonus program violated a fundamental public policy. The California Labor Code precludes employers...
- NEW MEXICO: City Layoffs. Victory, Darren // Bond Buyer;1/22/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31308, p37
Reports on an announcement by the mayor of Albuquerque, New Mexico Martin Chavez to eliminate 14 city government jobs. Reasons cited for retrenchment; Budget deficits faced by six government departments; Proposals to raise revenue.
- WISCONSIN: Downsizing. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;2/27/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31333, p29
Reports on retrenchment of employees in the Wisconsin state. Reason for the dismissal of employees; Efforts of the state to avoid tax increases to balance the budget.
- Unfair dismissal claims rise 90% over nine years. Thatcher, Mike // People Management;08/24/95, Vol. 1 Issue 17, p9
Reports the increase in the number of unfair dismissal considered by industrial tribunal in Great Britain. Explanations for the increase; Problems surrounding unfair dismissals that takes place after a business transfer.
- An issue for discussion, whatever the numbers. Howlings, Judith // People Management;07/11/96, Vol. 2 Issue 14, p51
Examines the legal obligations in relation to small-scale redundancies and individual consultation. Difference between collective and individual consultation; Considerations before letting the staff go; Factors to consider regarding the pool of selection.
- Adding to the agony. Hunter, Ian // People Management;01/22/98, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p23
Offers advice to employers regarding handling redundancies in Great Britain. Potential claims of employees relating to redundancy; Ways for employers to minimize risk of unfair dismissal; Making of selection procedure fair; Notification of employees in advance on the proposed redundancies;...
- Test your termination IQ. Eidson, Christy // Across the Board;Nov/Dec98, Vol. 35 Issue 10, p62
Presents questions to guide a manager when firing an employee. Significance of a witness in terminating an employee.
- T.G.I.F. Eidson, Christy // Across the Board;Nov/Dec98, Vol. 35 Issue 10, p63
Discusses the timing of firing an employee. Effect on firing during Friday afternoons; Ideal schedule of terminating an employee.