Taxes and the Investment Horizon
- USING BREAKEVEN FORMULAS TO ANALYZE TAX PLANNING STRATEGIES. Everett, John O.; Spindle, Roxanne; Turman, Thomas; Bregman, William; Theodore J., Sarenski; Marcus, David R. // CPA Journal;Jun2003, Vol. 73 Issue 6, p56
Explains the use of simple break even analysis tools in planning for capital gains income. Taxation treatment of long-term capital gains; Regulation on the annual deduction for investment interest expense to the taxpayer's net investment income; Rationale for the abandonment of business assets.
- THE TAXES WE'LL PAY. Block, Julian // Financial Planning;Apr2005, Vol. 35 Issue 4, p62
Discusses issues concerning the taxation of investments in the U.S. Advantages of investors over employees concerning taxation; Tips for financial planners on dealing with investors; Effect of the 2003 tax act on capital gains and dividend taxes.
- New tax laws impact investors. Tuttle, Matthew // Fairfield County Business Journal;2/23/2004, Vol. 43 Issue 8, p19
Discusses the impact of new tax laws on investors in Connecticut. Change imposed on capital gains taxes; Difficulty of tax planning because short-term losses offset short-term gains; Taxation of dividends under the new law.
- Taking profits. Freeman, Peter // Money (Australia Edition);Nov2009, Issue 118, p14
The article offers tips on how to take profits while minimizing capital gains tax. The taxable gain made from the sale of assets held for less than 12 months can be reduced by deducting losses. investors should not apply for the 50% discount when applied to gains qualified for the tax. This...
- The capital gains tax rate: is change on the horizon? Bricourt, Janee // Hudson Valley Business Journal;9/10/2007, Vol. 18 Issue 37, p25
The article reports on the capital gains tax rate in New York. It has been stated under the 2003 Jobs and Growth Tax Relief Reconciliation Act (JGTRRA) that the maximum capital gains tax rate has been reduced from 20% to 15% for long-term capital gains. The reduction could represent an...
- Ireland: budget. Murphy, Sean; Jeffcote, Bernard // Accountancy;Apr92, Vol. 109 Issue 1184, p65
This article reports on the reduction in income tax bands under Ireland's budget at the end of January 1992. The reduction in income tax is compensated for by the following: a reduction in the capital gains tax annual exemptions; no relief for new share option schemes and profit-sharing schemes;...
- Oh, Those CAPITAL GAINS TAXES! Block, Julian // On Wall Street;Nov2004, Vol. 14 Issue 11, p92
Offers several practical ideas on capital gains taxes. Advantages of property transfers; Information on kiddie tax rules; Explanation on capital losses. INSET: TIP.
- Tax points. Haskew, Frank; Newth, John // Accountancy;Feb2003, Vol. 131 Issue 1314, p112
The article information regarding various laws and regulations on taxation. The FA 2002 amended section 42 of FA 1998 so that it now requires that taxable profit figures be computed in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). The article points to serious traps inherent...
- ATO to investigate inflated losses. // Money Management;6/25/2009, Vol. 23 Issue 22, p10
The article reports on the Australian Taxation Office's (ATO) investigation to investors who are exhibiting inappropriate inflations to their investment losses. According to ATO second commissioner Jennie Granger, several losses are increasing from investors' needs to responsively transfer an...