TITLE

Renal biopsy criterion in children with asymptomatic constant isolated proteinuria

AUTHOR(S)
Hama, Taketsugu; Nakanishi, Koichi; Shima, Yuko; Mukaiyama, Hironobu; Togawa, Hiroko; Tanaka, Ryojiro; Hamahira, Kiyoshi; Kaito, Hiroshi; Iijima, Kazumoto; Yoshikawa, Norishige
PUB. DATE
August 2012
SOURCE
Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation;Aug2012, Vol. 27 Issue 8, p3186
SOURCE TYPE
Academic Journal
DOC. TYPE
Article
ABSTRACT
…in several European countries children often perform urine analysis before entering intensive sport programs or by chance as routine analysis before minor surgery or for other health problems. In these cases the detection of isolated proteinuria and/or hematuria leads the Pediatricians and sometimes also the Nephrologists into the dilemma on whether to perform or not a renal biopsy.Background The criterion of a renal biopsy in children with asymptomatic persistent isolated proteinuria is controversial. Methods To determine an adequate renal biopsy criterion in children with asymptomatic constant isolated proteinuria, the optimal cutoff maximum urinary protein/creatinine ratio (uP/Cr) to separate minor glomerular abnormalities (MGA) and other significant glomerular changes was obtained by receiver operating characteristic analysis in 44 children with asymptomatic constant isolated proteinuria (uP/Cr ≥0.2 g/g) screened from 1167 patients who underwent a renal biopsy between September 2000 and April 2010. Patients were divided into two groups according to the cutoff value to verify its validity. Results The optimal uP/Cr was 0.5 g/g. In Group 1 (uP/Cr <0.5 g/g, n = 15), only one patient (6.7%) showed focal segmental glomerulosclerosis (FSGS) and the other 14 patients (93.3%) had MGA. In Group 2 (uP/Cr ≥0.5 g/g at least once before biopsy, n = 29), 5 patients showed FSGS and 7 patients had nephritis such as IgA nephropathy (41.4%, n = 12) and the other 17 patients (58.6%) showed MGA. These findings indicated that the ratio of non-MGA/MGA was significantly higher in Group 2 than that in Group 1 (P = 0.016) and that if renal biopsies were performed with a criterion of a maximum uP/Cr ≥0.5 g/g (criterion for Group 2), renal biopsies could be avoided in 45.2% of patients with MGA. One patient with FSGS in Group 1 showed proteinuria with uP/Cr ≥0.5 g/g in the clinical course. Conclusions An adequate renal biopsy criterion in children with asymptomatic constant isolated proteinuria is uP/Cr ≥0.5 g/g.
ACCESSION #
78220430

 

Related Articles

  • Plasma Soluble Urokinase Receptor Level Is Correlated with Podocytes Damage in Patients with IgA Nephropathy. Zhao, Yanfeng; Liu, Lijun; Huang, Jing; Shi, Sufang; Lv, Jicheng; Liu, Gang; Zhao, Minghui; Zhang, Hong // PLoS ONE;7/13/2015, Vol. 10 Issue 7, p1 

    Background: Focal segmental glomerulosclerosis (FSGS) lesions are similar in characteristics to S lesions of the Oxford classification of IgA nephropathy (IgAN) and may predict poor prognosis. In the present study, we aimed to explore the association between plasma soluble urokinase receptor...

  • Focal segmental glomerulosclerosis plays a major role in the progression of IgA nephropathy. II. Light microscopic and clinical studies.  // Kidney International;Jun2014, Vol. 85 Issue 6, p1473 

    A correction to the article "Focal segmental glomerulosclerosis plays a major role in the progression of IgA nephropathy. II. Light microscopic and clinical studies" that was published online in the December 22, 2010 issue is presented.

  • How early renal biopsy has to be performed in children with isolated asymptomatic proteinuria? Coppo, Rosanna // Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation;Aug2012, Vol. 27 Issue 8, p3016 

    No abstract available.

  • The Authors Reply:. Hill, Gary S.; Karoui, Khalil El; Nochy, Dominique // Kidney International;Aug2011, Vol. 80 Issue 3, p319 

    A response by Khalil El Karoui, C. E. Alpers, and V. D. D'Agati to a letter to the editor about their article "FSGS lesions in IgA nephropathy" in an issue in 2011 is presented.

  • Utility of Genomic Testing after Renal Biopsy. Murray, Susan L.; Dorman, Anthony; Benson, Katherine A.; Connaughton, Dervla M.; Stapleton, Caragh P.; Fennelly, Neil K.; Kennedy, Claire; McDonnell, Ciara A.; Kidd, Kendrah; Cormican, Sarah M.; Ryan, Louise A.; Lavin, Peter; Little, Mark A.; Bleyer, Anthony J.; Doyle, Brendan; Cavalleri, Gianpiero L.; Hildebrandt, Friedhelm; Conlon, Peter J.; Murray, Susan L; Benson, Katherine A // American Journal of Nephrology;Jan2020, Vol. 51 Issue 1, p43 

    Background: Renal biopsy is the mainstay of renal pathological diagnosis. Despite sophisticated diagnostic techniques, it is not always possible to make a precise pathological diagnosis. Our aim was to identify a genetic cause of disease in patients who had undergone renal biopsy...

  • Raised serum creatinine at presentation does not adversely affect steroid response in primary focal segmental glomerulosclerosis in adults. Jafry, Nazrul; Ahmed, Ejaz; Mubarak, Muhammed; Kazi, Javed; Akhter, Fazal // Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation;Mar2012, Vol. 27 Issue 3, p1101 

    Background. There is no information in international literature on the mode of presentation, laboratory and clinical features, treatment and prognosis of primary focal segmental glomerulosclerosis (FSGS) in adults in Pakistan. Methods. This is a retrospective review of 124 adults (≥17...

  • The incidence of biopsy-proven glomerulonephritis in Cairo University, Egypt: a 5-year study. Ibrahim, Salwa; Fayed, Ahmed // NDT Plus;Oct2009, Vol. 2 Issue 5, p431 

    The article focuses on a study which examined the incidence of biopsy-proven glomerulonephritis (GN) in Cairo, Egypt from July 2003 to 2008. The researchers reviewed the clinical and pathological data of all renal biopsy samples that were obtained during the period. They found focal segmental...

  • C4d in Native Glomerular Diseases. Chandra, Preeti // American Journal of Nephrology;Jan2019, Vol. 49 Issue 1, p81 

    Complement activation occurs in many glomerular diseases, the exact pathway(s) of activation has been studied in detail in some diseases but not in all. C4d is generated by the activation of classical and lectin pathways, and its presence can point to the activation of either of these pathways....

  • End-stage renal disease in China. Leishi Li // Kidney International;Jan1996, Vol. 49 Issue 1, p287 

    The article presents a clinical case of a 33-year-old man with a history of nephrotic syndrome accompanied with hematuria and hypertension. His renal function deteriorated and his serum creatinine rose to 6.0 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dl) when admitted to Jinling Hospital, Nanjing, China. His...

Share

Read the Article

Courtesy of THE LIBRARY OF VIRGINIA

Sorry, but this item is not currently available from your library.

Try another library?
Sign out of this library

Other Topics