- Technical Hints from Artists' Studio. // American Artist;Jun-Aug1956, Vol. 20 Issue 6, p16
The article features several suggestions from readers of the journal about art. John F. Salley of Toledo, Ohio discusses how to do a folding easel that could be used to make painting easier. Dedham, Massachusetts-based Henry Patnoude provides tips on how to renew a worn bristle or flat sable...
- Quick Tips. Skiba, Raymond; Posante, Phil; Stanton, Sandra; Short, Ruth E.; Hinkle, Elaine; McCarthy, Mai; Fisher, Ray // American Artist;Oct1975, Vol. 39 Issue 399, p12
The article provides technical tips for painters from other painters. Forty-five revolution per minute (rpm) records can be used as emergency palettes, using the center hole as thumb or finger slot. A drawing board brush caddy can be made from drinking straws taped together firmly including the...
- fan blender. // Artist's Illustrated Encyclopedia;2001, p158
A definition of the term "fan blender" is presented. It refers to a fan-shaped brush used by artists for blending or feathering paint. In drybrushing, a fan blender is useful for painting textured subjects such as grass and wood.
- Resting Place. Hoff, David // Fired Arts & Crafts;Feb2014, Vol. 60 Issue 2, p15
The article offers step-by-step instructions for using opaque and translucent underglazes in painting flowers and butterflies in a ceramic plate.
- THE AMATEUR PAGE. // American Artist;Sep1943, Vol. 7 Issue 7, p32
The article offers information about the 3 principal categories of brushes used in painting, which include bristle brushes, sable brushes and blenders. The bristle brush comes in 2 varieties, such as one with short and the other with long bristles, and various sizes up to number 12. The sable...
- Quick Tips. Hebert, LeRoy J.; O'Connor, Claire; Fine, June; Atkinson, Trisha; McGrath, MaryJean; Reich, Blossom // American Artist;Sep1983, Vol. 47 Issue 494, p97
The article offers tips on the use of art materials and supplies. It suggests the use of silver-plated loving or trophy cups for storing cluster of brushes as well as the use of a plastic strawberry container from the supermarket to keep paint brushes upright while painting. Another...
- Art Mart. Keenan, Georgina // American Artist;Jan1999, Vol. 63 Issue 678, p14
Presents information on several painting materials and tools. Reusable palettes from Wingate Packaging Inc.; Artist-grade oil colors from Gamblin Artists Colors Co.; Painting brushes from Grumbacher.
- REMBRANDT GIFT SET. // American Artist;Jan2006, Vol. 70 Issue 761, p7
The article reports that Dick Blick Art Materials is offering a new Rembrandt oil-paint gift set from Canson. The set includes 39 tubes of pure-pigment, high-quality colors, Rembrandt brushes and painting knives.
- BRUSH RULING. Small, Bert // American Artist: Watercolor;Summer1998, Vol. 4 Issue 15, p18
The article discusses the technique of brush ruling in watercolor painting. It states that crudely painted outlines, irregular grid marks, sloppy lettering or clumsy parallel lines can be corrected using brush ruling. Information presented suggests the use of regular watercolor brushes and a...