Georgia's Barnes Unveils $16.2 Billion Budget, and Seeks $726M in Bonds
- Texas Budget Board's Numbers Cut $1 Billion From Education. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;1/16/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31554, p1
Reports on the biennium budget for 2004-2005 presented by Texas Legislative Budget Board on January 14, 2003. Funds allocated for various programs and services; Criticism of reduction in funds for local public schools in the state; Members of the legislative budget board.
- California: End in Sight? Williams, Rochelle // Bond Buyer;7/31/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31689, p1
Reports on the approval of state budget of California for the fiscal year 2003. Steps taken to make-up for a $38 billion shortfall for fiscal 2004 in the budget; Public response to the budget; Amount proposed by the California Senate for redevelopment agencies in the budget.
- Southwest Officials Trying To Budget Outside the Box. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;1/22/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31308, p1
Reports on the efforts of officials in Southwestern states to balance their budgets without cutting the budget for social programs. Estimated budget of Texas for 2002-03; Colorado's budget shortfall for 2002-03; Arkansas' forecasted revenue for fiscal year 2002.
- IOWA: A Hole Reopens. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;2/6/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31319, p29
Reports on the efforts of governor of Iowa Tom Vilsack to overcome the problem in the budget for fiscal year 2002 due to faltering revenue collection in the state. Prospects for cut in school funds to solve the problem; Plans regarding the spendings made by governor during the year 2002.
- The state and local government sector: Long-term trends and recent fiscal pressures. Rubin, Laura S.; Fagan, Katie // Federal Reserve Bulletin;Dec92, Vol. 78 Issue 12, p892
Focuses on long-term factors associated with fiscal difficulties in the state and local government sector. State and local expenditure; Structural difficulties; Fiscal difficulties; Patterns of state and local spending; Taxation. INSET: State and local insurance funds: A source of saving....
- NEW MEXICO: A More or Less Budget. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;1/18/2011, Vol. 375 Issue 33451, p9
The article reports on the proposal of the Legislative Finance Committee to allocate 5.39 billion U.S. dollars for the 2012 general fund budget in New Mexico.
- State Veto Procedures. // Congressional Digest;Feb1993, Vol. 72 Issue 2, p40
Examines veto power at the state level. Constitutional amendments regarding veto power and state courts; The regular veto and the item veto in the states; Variations on the veto; Longer budget cycle and the governor's item veto; Applying state procedures to the Federal situation; More.
- The new role models. Osborne, D. // Inc.;Oct87, Vol. 9 Issue 10, p78
The fallout from broad economic trends--the depression in the oil industry, for example--is beyond the control of local officials. But to a surprising extent, the elements necessary to nurture the process of innovation are within the control of state governments. Discusses which states are the...
- State finances are looking good for 1997. // State Legislatures;Mar97, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p6
Focuses on budget of the states in the United States for 1997. Excess of revenue collections in twenty nine states; Education, corrections and Medicaid as major targets for spending; Existence of problem concerning allocation of surplus revenues.
- Budget Misses Deadline. Phillips, Ted // Bond Buyer;4/5/2010, Vol. 372 Issue 33293, p9
The article reports on the failure of the Legislature to meet the budget deadline due to Easter and Passover holidays in New York.