Report Pegs Wisconsin Shortfall at $1.1B
- 100 Years of Information. Boulard, Garry // State Legislatures;Sep2001, Vol. 27 Issue 8, p20
Celebrates the 100th anniversary of the Wisconsin Legislative Reference Bureau in 2001. Significance of the reference bureau for state legislators in Wisconsin; Discussion on the `Wisconsin Idea' and the contributions of Charles McCarthy to the development of the legislative reference bureau;...
- McCarthy of Wisconsin. Littell, Robert // New Republic;4/27/21, Vol. 26 Issue 334, p263
Presents a tribute to Charles McCarthy, founder of the Legislative Reference Department of the State of Wisconsin and leader of the extension of the University of Wisconsin to the people of the whole state. Lobbying for all Wisconsin's progressive legislation; Work as football coach in the...
- Winsconsin's Tough Old Man. Neuberger, Richard L. // Saturday Evening Post;2/16/1946, Vol. 218 Issue 33, p9
The article profiles Walter S. Goodland, Wisconsin's first gubernatorial candidate in three decades to lead the state ticket for major office in a presidential year. The Wisconsin Legislative Reference Bureau has announced that Goodland was the oldest man ever to govern a state in the country....
- Sirsi in Maryland, Wisconsin Libraries. Rogers, Michael // Library Journal;11/15/2000, Vol. 125 Issue 19, p24
Reports that the Maryland Department of Legislative Services and the Wisconsin Legislative Reference Bureau have selected Sirsi Corporation's Unicorn system as their library automation solution. Details of the system.
- Texas Budget Board's Numbers Cut $1 Billion From Education. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;1/16/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31554, p1
Reports on the biennium budget for 2004-2005 presented by Texas Legislative Budget Board on January 14, 2003. Funds allocated for various programs and services; Criticism of reduction in funds for local public schools in the state; Members of the legislative budget board.
- California: End in Sight? Williams, Rochelle // Bond Buyer;7/31/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31689, p1
Reports on the approval of state budget of California for the fiscal year 2003. Steps taken to make-up for a $38 billion shortfall for fiscal 2004 in the budget; Public response to the budget; Amount proposed by the California Senate for redevelopment agencies in the budget.
- Southwest Officials Trying To Budget Outside the Box. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;1/22/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31308, p1
Reports on the efforts of officials in Southwestern states to balance their budgets without cutting the budget for social programs. Estimated budget of Texas for 2002-03; Colorado's budget shortfall for 2002-03; Arkansas' forecasted revenue for fiscal year 2002.
- IOWA: A Hole Reopens. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;2/6/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31319, p29
Reports on the efforts of governor of Iowa Tom Vilsack to overcome the problem in the budget for fiscal year 2002 due to faltering revenue collection in the state. Prospects for cut in school funds to solve the problem; Plans regarding the spendings made by governor during the year 2002.
- The state and local government sector: Long-term trends and recent fiscal pressures. Rubin, Laura S.; Fagan, Katie // Federal Reserve Bulletin;Dec92, Vol. 78 Issue 12, p892
Focuses on long-term factors associated with fiscal difficulties in the state and local government sector. State and local expenditure; Structural difficulties; Fiscal difficulties; Patterns of state and local spending; Taxation. INSET: State and local insurance funds: A source of saving....