ARKANSAS: Undoing Budget Cuts
- Political explanations for the difficulties in congressional budgeting. Fisher, Patrick // Social Science Journal;1999, Vol. 36 Issue 1, p149
Assesses the budget allocation capabilities of the American Congress. Significance of democracy to national allocations; Implications of socio-political factors in balancing the budget; Role of congressional representatives in the lobbying process; Importance of public interests in budget...
- The revitalization of the defined benefit pension. Mandel, George; Geller, Sheldon M. // CPA Journal;Sep95, Vol. 65 Issue 9, p62
Discusses the increased use of defined benefit plans. Effects of the passage of the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993 (OBRA '93); Advantages and drawbacks of nonqualified executive compensation plans; Advantages of the defined benefit plan; Need for an actuary's services; Amendment to...
- Plan Your 2012 Budget With This Federal Funding Breakdown. // Assisted Housing Alert;Jan2012, Vol. 8 Issue 1, p3
The article offers information on how the 2012 budget of the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) in the U.S. will be used. It states that HUD will issue a notice of funds for the assisted-living conversion program, no fund will be available for Capital Advance New Construction, and...
- 1993 Tax Act changes retirement plans. Janik, Kenneth Allan // South Carolina Business Journal;Feb94, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p10
Discusses the effects to defined contribution plans in the United States of the passage of the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993, or the `1933 Tax Act.' Employers' contribution to profit sharing plans; Money purchase pension plans; 401(k) plan.
- Victory for state and local governments. // Planning;Apr94, Vol. 60 Issue 4, p6
Reports on the US Senate's rejection of a constitutional amendment creating a balanced budget. Provision under Senate Joint Resolution 41; American Planning Association's (APA) criticism against the amendment; Public pressure to reduce budget deficit.
- Planning after the tax act. Nelson, Kristin L. // Best's Review / Life-Health Insurance Edition;Oct93, Vol. 94 Issue 6, p56
Discusses financial planning after the passage of the 1993 Budget Reconciliation Act. Technical changes to the tax code. Higher taxes on people with provisional income; Purchase of cash value life insurance products and variable annuities; Deferring payment of taxes; Prepayment of state and...
- Time for refection - time for action. Allen-Diaz, Barbara // California Agriculture;Oct-Dec2010, Vol. 64 Issue 4, p162
The author reflects on the new strategic plan of the division of Agriculture and Natural Resources (ANR) in California. She states that due to the increase of population, ANR should prioritize education in the final legislative resolution of a state budget. Meanwhile, an overview to the...
- Wrong budget, right move. // Fairfield County Business Journal;7/6/2009, Vol. 48 Issue 27, p42
In this article the author discusses the issue concerning the move of the General Assembly to sign an incomplete budget package in Fairfield County, Connecticut. The author explains that such move can be considered as an act of irrationality since the move needs further analysis of the county's...
- New Budgeting System Replaces Status Quo. // Business Officer;Sep2011, Vol. 45 Issue 2, p13
The article reports on the reasons for adopting zero-based budgeting in which, it produces fairness and equity of allocation over departments and campuses, it aligns spending with the strategic plan and it makes budgets officers more aware of budgeting details through a standardized format.