News In Brief: Kansas City Fed: Manufacturing Off
- Cost Minimizing Behavior in U.S. Manufacturing. Swanson, James; Andrews, Kim // Journal of Economics (03616576);2003, Vol. 29 Issue 1, p93
A stochastic frontier approach is used to examine efficiency of the U.S. manufacturing sector over the 1958-1996 time period. A National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) panel data set was used to estimate a translog cost frontier. Both fixed effects and random effects models were estimated....
- Lean in the real world. // Works Management;Jan2003, Vol. 56 Issue 1, p6
Presents the book 'Creating Mixed Model Value Streams,' by Kevin J. Duggan. Provision of information on lean manufacturing; Management of changes in customer demand; Offer of spreadsheets for sorting products.
- Five tips to keep better track of plant assets. // Plant Engineering;Oct2012, Vol. 66 Issue 8, p55
The article presents five tips to keep better track of industrial plant assets.
- Updating your factory layout drafting and design system... Sly, David // IIE Solutions;Aug97, Vol. 29 Issue 8, p24
Presents that modern technologies have led to revolutionary changes in what is possible and practical for factory layout design and analysis. Step-by-step approach to selecting or modifying existing factory layout and design systems; Review of factory layout software tools.
- INCREASING motivation in the plant. Sorcher, Melvin; Meyer, Herbert H. // Management Review;Jan69, Vol. 58 Issue 1, p56
Provides tips on motivating production employees in industrial plants. Areas of factory work that should be changed by management; Measures of gauging effectiveness of job design; Practical steps that should be taken by factory managers to motivate production workers.
- Kaesong Should be Locomotive for Inter- Korean Cooperation. // Korea Focus;Aug2013, p1
The article reports that officials from South and North Korea have agreed to resume operations at the Kaesong (Gaeseong) Industrial Complex. Operators of the 123 South Korean manufacturing plants in the complex anxiously watched government authorities dealing with the North Korea for the past...
- Tomorrow's Factory. McCune, Jenny C. // Management Review;Jan93, Vol. 82 Issue 1, p21
Forecasts the status of factory practices for the 21st century. Manufacturing companies expected to dominate the technology-driven century of factory work; Disadvantages and advantages provided by technological innovations to factory work. INSETS: BRIEFCASE;WORKBOOK.
- The Factory System. Osborne, Kenneth // Horizon Canada (English edition);Jan2001, pN.PAG
Focuses on the introduction of the factory system in 19th century Canada. Changes in industrial relations; Emphasis on discipline and control; Mechanization of system.
- Labour's Pains. Freeman, Bill // Horizon Canada (English edition);Jan2001, pN.PAG
Details the creation of trade-unions in Canada. Results of the introduction of factory system; Organization of social and cultural events; Establishment of local union councils.