- Academics and the giggle test. Jennings, Marianne M. // Christian Science Monitor;7/5/96, Vol. 88 Issue 154, p20
Opinion. Comments on the propensity of academic journal articles to use highly technical language. Examples of incomprehensible research and publications; Difficulties encountered by the author in discerning the subject matter of some academic articles; Titles that use too much...
- Impact of a dollar depreciation on the prices of foreign academic journals: A supply and demand... Woolsey, W. William; Strauch, A. Bruce // Publishing Research Quarterly;Spring92, Vol. 8 Issue 1, p74
Discusses the ability of publishers to `pass through' a depreciation of the United States dollar by increasing the prices of foreign academic journals. Decrease in the supply of foreign academic journals; Price elasticities of demand and supply.
- The JAL guide to professional literature: Scholarly communication. Altman, Ellen; Pratt, Allan // Journal of Academic Librarianship;Nov97, Vol. 23 Issue 6, p550
Presents the summaries of articles on scholarly communication. Includes `Saving Scholarly Publishing in the Age of Oprah: The Glastonbury Project,' by William C. Dowling; `Trends in Scientific Scholarly Journal Publishing in the United States,' by Carol Tenopir and Donald W. King.
- EDITORS' NOTE. O'Donnell, Lorraine; Charpentier, Claude // Journal of Eastern Townships Studies / Revue d'Ã©tudes des Canto;Spring2013, Issue 40, p5
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the special issue on the history, culture, and politics of the Eastern Townships of Quebec.
- The political economy of scholarly communication and the... Carrigan, Dennis P. // Journal of Academic Librarianship;Jan1990, Vol. 15 Issue 6, p332
Examines how dramatic price increases and substantial growth in the number of scholarly journals are the logical outcomes of the scholarly communication system that came into being a century ago. American Chemist Ira Remsen's reasons for wanting to publish; Three ideal types of market systems;...
- A SELECT LIST OF ARTICLES ON AFRICA APPEARING IN NON-AFRICANIST PERIODICALS. BARRINGER, T. A. // African Affairs;Apr2009, Vol. 108 Issue 431, p345
Presented is a list of articles on Africa published in the period October-December 2008 that appeared in academic journals that do not specialize in African topics and includes "The logic of state failure: learning from late-century Africa," by R. H. Bates, "The invisible cure: Africa, the West...
- Profile Dialogues of Knowledge. // Dialogos de Saberes;ene-jun2013, Issue 38, p23
The article reviews the journal "Dialogues of Knowledge," published by the Socio-legal Research Center of the Faculty of Law at the Libre University of Bogota, Colombia, as of 2013.
- Books and articles of academic interest. // Academic Questions;Summer94, Vol. 7 Issue 3, p89
Presents a list of books and articles of interest to academics. Includes `Culture and Anarchy Today,' by Stven Marcus in the Summer 1993 issue of `Southern Review'; `The Polictics of Political Correctness' in the special Fall 1993 issue of the `Partisan Review'; `Guilty If Charged,' by Richard...
- KUDUS TO CORDERO. Baker, Rosalie // Soundboard;Spring1986, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p4
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "From the Caribbean."