`It Was the Best of Times, It Was the Worst of Times.'
- Do VA Funds Outperform Mutual Funds? Reinkemeyer, Patrick // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;4/27/98, Vol. 102 Issue 17, p8
The article focuses on variable annuities (VAs). Variable annuity funds outperform mutual funds. Only a manager with a long track record of demonstrated excellence in managing mutual fund money will be selected to manage money for variable investors. Moreover, some managers argue that returns...
- Breaking out of the box. Curtis, Carol E // U.S. Banker;Aug98, Vol. 108 Issue 8, p43
Presents information on mutual funds, while stating that variable annuities industry receive little attention compared to mutual funds. Value of the total mutual fund assets; Reference to statistical information on the variable annuity industry; Comments from A. Michael Lipper, head of Lipper...
- A Distinct Chill Has Descended On Market Timing Relationships. Boros, Joan // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;8/13/2001, Vol. 105 Issue 33, p11
Reports on the adverse effects of market timers on mutual funds and issuers of variable insurance products in the United States (U.S.). Why the effects are felt most by international funds; Response of fund families and variable insurers; Action taken by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- 403(b)s are plentiful, but some designs need work. Kelly, Joseph D. // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;6/10/96, Vol. 100 Issue 24, p8
Focuses on the need for design changes in variable annuities and mutual fund options in the United States. Increase in competition in the marketplace.
- As Investment Vehicles, VAs Trump Mutual Funds, New Study Says. Krebsbach, Karen // Bank Investment Consultant;May2002, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p42
Compares variable annuities (VA) with mutual funds in the U.S. Provision of larger after-tax payouts by VA; Determination of expenses; Value of lifetime annuitization.
- WHEN YOU SHOULD BUY INDEX FUNDS INSTEAD OF VARIABLE ANNUITIES. MICHELS, ANTONY J. // Fortune;11/14/1994, Vol. 130 Issue 10, p155
Provides advice to investors on when they would fare better buy purchasing index funds rather than variable annuities. How the steep fees often charged by variable annuities can outweigh the benefits; How stock index funds can beat a variable annuity over time; Example of the Vanguard Index...
- Top-performing insurance funds invested abroad, Lipper finds. Holliday, Kalen // American Banker;10/29/1993, Vol. 158 Issue 208, p14
Reports on the 1993 performance of insurance contracts that invest in international securities according to Lipper Variable Insurance Products Performance Analysis Service. Variable annuity and life insurance products; Returns of variable annuity with holdings in international mutual funds;...
- Not wise to compare VA and mutual fund returns. Streiff, Thomas F.; Shapiro, David // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;5/2/94, Vol. 98 Issue 18, p16
Discusses various aspects of variable annuities (VA) and mutual fund returns. Types of mutual funds; Comparison between VA and mutual funds; Factors to consider when choosing between VA and mutual funds.
- Annuity vs. mutual fund: Fairer comparisons. Shapiro, David // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;8/3/98, Vol. 102 Issue 31, p21
Compares annuity and mutual funds. Mutual funds as the more desirable investment; Factors to consider when comparing mutual funds and variable annuities; Definition of the needs and assessment of products available with the use of reasonable scenarios to make comparisons.