Muni Bond Funds: The Ups & Downs & Ins & Outs
- Muni Duo Rolls Out Alternative Asset Management Plans. Fine, Jacob // Bond Buyer;6/18/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31659, p7
This article reports on the registration of a firm formed by two top municipal bond professionals to implement alternative investment strategies in May 2003 by the name 1861 Capital Fund LP with the New York secretary of state's corporation division as of June 18, 2003. The fund will utilize...
- Reconsidering Rates. Fine, Jacob // Bond Buyer;8/20/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31952, p1
Reports on the alteration of the portfolios of leading investment managers in the U.S. Impact of the interest rates on the business plan; Investment into short bonds; Venture into 10-year municipal bonds.
- ARTIE WU. Garcia, Erica // Money;Sep2002, Vol. 31 Issue 9, p94
Profiles Artie Wu, an investor who co-owns Vividence, a marketing-software company. Strategies of Wu in investing; Investment of Wu in equities and tax-free municipal bonds which expire on a rolling basis; Hedging strategy known as writing covered calls, in which Wu sells a contract which gives...
- Cash Keeps Flowing Into Muni Funds. SEYMOUR, DAN // Bond Buyer;5/26/2009, Vol. 368 Issue 33120, p1
The article reports on the growth of investors investing in municipal bond mutual funds in the U.S. It was found that municipal funds recorded increased cash inflow of $1.13 billion from January-May 2009 and a rose in assets from $336.94 billion to $390.85 billion in December 2008. It was found...
- Muni Market's Red Carpet. Kumar, Ambika // Governing;Sep2002, Vol. 15 Issue 12, p70
Reports that investors in the U.S. are putting their money into municipal bond mutual funds for safety as of September 2002. Impact of corporate scandals on investors; Investor demand for municipal bonds; Information on municipal bond offering.
- Municipals End Little Changed; Softer Tone in Shortened Session. Monsarrat, Sean // Bond Buyer;05/29/2001, Vol. 336 Issue 31148, p2
Reports on municipal bond activity in the United States on May 25, 2001. Focus of traditional investors on the primary while mixed secondary bidding pointed to divergent market opinions; Trend among retail investors and institutional buyers of focusing in the new-issue market.
- Saybrook Capital Raises Over $200 Million for Latest Offering. Johnson, Matthew // Bond Buyer;9/9/2005, Vol. 353 Issue 32214, p7
Reports on the amount raised by Saybrook Capital Corp. in capital commitments for their latest offering in a series of funds that seek to take advantage of municipal bonds with deteriorating credit quality in the U.S. Establishment of equity funds so that investors sign an agreement to finance...
- Conservative `Munis' Become Hot Prospects. Halverson, Guy // Christian Science Monitor;10/26/98, Vol. 90 Issue 232, p13
Comments on the benefits for certain investors who invest in municipal bonds. How municipal bonds are historically cheap compared to United States Treasury bonds in late 1998; The returns that municipals can offer; Taxation benefits of municipals; Size of the municipal market; Mutual funds...
- Munis in the Media: Headline Risk and Municipal Bond Analysis. Burger, Harold; Oliver, Bill; Neumann, Jeannette; Walsh, Mary Williams; Mackey, Adam // Municipal Finance Journal;Winter2012, Vol. 32 Issue 4, p28
It seems that municipal bonds are in the news more than ever. Some of the stories, in print and on television, are painting dramatic pictures of the municipal market, particularly state and local government finances. Do the media have it right? How does the municipal bond analyst factor media...