N.Y.C. Schools Chief Calls for Prioritizing
- Parents the key to summer school success. Vann, Causha // New York Amsterdam News;06/21/2001, Vol. 92 Issue 25, p38
Highlights the summer school outreach program launched by the New York City Board of Education under the leadership of Schools Chancellor Harold Levy. Number of students slated for summer school; Obligations of parents to their children; Components of the 'Step Up Summer School 2001' campaign.
- Since when was an education a requirement for work in city government...except for Black folks. Tatum, Wilbert A. // New York Amsterdam News;08/24/2000, Vol. 91 Issue 34, p1
Editorial. Criticizes the decision of Mayor Rudolph Giuliani to bypass Irving Hamer in favor of Harold Levy to become the chief of the New York City Board of Education. Absence of Levy's experience and qualification for the job; Reasons why Hamer is more suitable for the board; Explanation of...
- Principals for a day. // Crain's New York Business;5/9/94, Vol. 10 Issue 19, p43
Reports on the number of executives and celebrities who participated in the Board of Education's Principal for a Day program in New York City, New York.
- Sharing an idea, or two, on the job. Newcomb, Amelia // Christian Science Monitor;5/9/2000, Vol. 92 Issue 117, p15
Reports on methods employed by Harold Levy to influence the level of debate among members of the New York City Board of Education.
- School repair money short. Harrington, John // Crain's New York Business;10/18/93, Vol. 9 Issue 42, p62
Reports on the budget shortfall of the New York Board of Education. Five million left for emergency repairs; Ill-preparedness for catastrophes like floods or fires; Struggling with price of asbestos cleanup; Backlog of refurbishments costing one billion.
- Chancellor Levy tainted by relationship with Giuliani. Tatum, Wilbert A. // New York Amsterdam News;02/01/2001, Vol. 92 Issue 5, p1
Editorial. Criticizes Harold Levy, chancellor of the school system in New York, New York. Accusation of unfair allocation of school budget; Exploitation of Hispanics and blacks; Relation with Mayor Rudolph Giuliani.
- Live and learn. // American School & University;Apr95, Vol. 67 Issue 8, p17
Reports on plans for a 324,000-square-foot mixed-use building in Battery Park City, New York, N.Y. that will house 100,000 square feet of educational space for an elementary school. New York City Board of Education's plan to lease the educational space for grades Kindergarten-8; Total cost of...
- Ban Bake Sales? // Junior Scholastic;5/10/2010, Vol. 112 Issue 16, p6
The article reports that the New York City Board of Education banned bake sales to reduce obesity of children in New York City.
- 18 named in graft. Harrington, John // Crain's New York Business;5/23/94, Vol. 10 Issue 21, p38
Reports that Federal prosecutors charged a senior lawyer and 17 others of New York City's Board of Education's Facilities Division with paying or taking bribes for awarding contracts. Division's responsibilities.