Longtime Illinois Budget Veteran Takes Top Post
- Speaker Urges Purge. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;5/13/2009, Vol. 368 Issue 33114, p9
The article reports on the proposal of a purge of individuals appointed to state agency jobs and commissions by former governors Rod Blagojevich and George Ryan by House Speaker Michael Madigan in Illinois. Madigan estimated that about 3,000 people whose appointments needed Senate approval or...
- Gramm Is No Yes Man. Recio, Maria // Washingtonian Magazine;Apr2006, Vol. 41 Issue 7, p10
Reports on the testimony of former Texas senator Phil Gramm on the trial of Illinois governor George Ryan. Political relations between Gramm and Ryan; Amount of money in question; Comment of Ryan on the testimony.
- In Illinois, A Long Lineup Of Political Crooks. Pound, Edward T. // National Journal;12/20/2008, p11
The article focuses on the corruption in the city of Chicago and in Illinois. According to news reporter Edward Pound, 28 current or former government officials in Chicago have been convicted of crimes over the past 35 years leading to 2008. It examines the lineup of corrupt officials from the...
- Job Cuts, Not Taxes. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;2/20/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31328, p32
Reports on Illinois governor George Ryan's proposed fiscal budget for the year 2003. Number of jobs proposed to be cut in the budget; Amount of reductions made in the budget compared to the previous one; Reasons for these cuts.
- Ryan weighs clemency. // State Government News;Apr2002, Vol. 45 Issue 4, p8
Reports the moratorium imposed by Illinois Governor George Ryan on executions in January 2000 to consider whether to commute the sentences of the inmates on the state's death row.
- Ryan's campaign machine is on a record-setting roll. Hinz, Greg // Crain's Chicago Business;08/17/98, Vol. 21 Issue 33, p3
Presents information on the fund-raising campaign being used by George Ryan of the Republican Party. Amount of money raised by the campaign for the first half of 1998; Details on the campaign; Identification of the family which gave the largest single donation.
- For Gov. Ryan, biggest job is rebuilding confidence. // Crain's Chicago Business;02/07/2000, Vol. 23 Issue 6, p10
Editorial. Focuses on the role of Governor George Ryan on the economy of Chicago, Illinois. Insights on the contribution of Ryan in promoting community infrastructure programs; Comment on the involvement of Ryan in the driver licensing corruption scandal; Impact of the scandal on public...
- Scandal-Dogged Illinois Governor Opts Not to Seek Second Term. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;8/10/2001, Vol. 337 Issue 31200, p3
Reports that Illinois Governor George Ryan will not run for a second term. Achievements of Ryan; Public works program; Bonds issued under Ryan.
- Illinois Gov. wants to get rid of tolls. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;09/10/99, Vol. 329 Issue 30723, p1
Reports on the plan of Illinois Governor George Ryan's plan to dismantle the state's tollway system. Search for a way to retire $900 million of outstanding toll revenue debt; Illinois State Toll Highway Authority's call for a toll increase.