Looking to Get Beyond the Tourism Trap
- East, West recessions pinch Hawaii's economy. Nichols, Don // Restaurant Business;4/10/93, Vol. 92 Issue 6, p44
Reports on the continuing slump in tourism being experienced by Hawaii. Effect on the hotel and restaurant industry; Recession and slow recovery of the country's economy; Air-fare wars; Focus on affordability by the visitors bureau; Competition from Mexico; Focus on local customers.
- Hawaii: What went wrong? Rowe, Megan // Lodging Hospitality;Mar96, Vol. 52 Issue 3, p30
Discusses the effect of the Persian Gulf War, economy and decrease property values to the Hawaiian hotel industry. Dependence on Japanese travelers; Hurdles needed to be overcome by Hawaii; Transition in hotel industry; Comments by Terrence Fowler, general manager at Waikiki Beachcomber, and...
- Paradise lost? Chun, Janean // Entrepreneur;Feb1998, Vol. 26 Issue 2, p13
Presents information on the Hawaiian economy and its impact on entrepreneurs there. Circumstances surrounding the situation; Detailed information on the economic state; Comments from Sam Slom, president, Small Business Hawaii.
- Down and out in Waikiki. Ito, Timothy M. // U.S. News & World Report;10/13/97, Vol. 123 Issue 14, p46
Focuses on economic conditions in Hawaii as of October 1997. The signs that Hawaii is in the middle of a slump while most of the United States booms; The stagnant economy since 1991; The departure of Hawaiians who are frustrated with the economy; Background on how Hawaii got into an economic slump.
- Hawaii: Shark Fin Central. // Salt Water Sportsman;Jan99, Vol. 60 Issue 1, p58
Reports on shark finning in Hawaii. Disposal of hundred of thousands of finless sharks; Banning of finning in federal waters of the Atlantic Ocean; Increase of finning from 1991 to 1996.
- Hawaii Trolls for Tourists While Other States Take Stock. Williams, Rochelle // Bond Buyer;10/12/2001, Vol. 338 Issue 31242, p32
Reports developments in the tourism industry in Hawaii as of October 2001. Efforts of Gov. Ben Cayetano for promoting tourism abroad; Benefits of tourism to the economy of the state; Accounts on the tourism industry of other states.
- The banana republic state? // Policy Review;Sep/Oct98, Issue 91, p11
Reports on the increase in the welfare caseload of Hawaii. Details on the economic growth of Hawaii; Details on the state's unemployment rate; Reasons for the economic growth rate of Hawaii.
- Hawaii/Pacific District Export Council: Starting to Reap Rewards. Aarma, Piia M. // Business America;Sep98, Vol. 119 Issue 9, p27
Cites efforts of business enterprises in Hawaii to improve their markets and trading conditions. Emphasis on diversified tourism; Promotion of the state as learning destination; Improvement of health tourism with state grants.
- An ill wind whips economy in America's paradise islands. Salkever, Alex // Christian Science Monitor;10/24/97, Vol. 89 Issue 231, p3
Examines the economic conditions in Hawaii in October of 1997. Hawaii's growth rate since 1991 as it compares to all other states; How a large state and county bureaucracy has kept businesses away; The political power of labor unions in Hawaii; Changes in the government which may bode well for...