Knowles' Wish List vs. a Dubious Legislature
- The Maturing of the 13 Regional Corporations. Stricker, Julie // Alaska Business Monthly;Mar2001, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p47
Reports that the 13 regional corporations in Alaska are making their mark on the world and paying dividends to shareholders. Creation of the regional corporations and village corporations to manage the land and money of Alaska Natives; Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) in 1971;...
- The Alaska Railroad: Contributing of Communities' Economies. Orr, Vanessa // Alaska Business Monthly;Jun2002, Vol. 18 Issue 6, p54
Focuses on the economic contributions of railroads in Alaska. Percentage increase in tourist revenue; Attraction of businesses and services in the towns; Relevance of partnerships with local companies.
- What a difference a decade makes. Jones, Patricia // Alaska Business Monthly;May97, Vol. 13 Issue 5, p22
Focuses on Fairbanks in 1997, the second largest city in the state of Alaska. Information on economic conditions in Fairbanks in 1987; How Denali State Bank survived the post pipeline construction era; Reason for the growth in the economy of the state in the late 1990s; Reference to the...
- Haines hits big time. // Alaska Business Monthly;Oct94, Vol. 10 Issue 10, p12
Reports on the economic growth of Haines, Alaska between 1990 and July 1993.
- Moving beyond the move. Swagel, Will // Alaska Business Monthly;Aug95, Vol. 11 Issue 8, p32
Focuses on the economic growth of Juneau, Alaska. Results of the vote on a proposal to move the capital from Juneau; Efforts to wean the city from the state government; Year-round employment; Problems from economic progress; Room for growth.
- Towns in transition: Seward takes the spotlight. Carroll, Ed // Alaska Business Monthly;Aug94, Vol. 10 Issue 8, p44
Focuses on the economic recovery of the city of Seward in Alaska. Prognosis after the Good Friday earthquake in 1964; Foundation of the city by settlers in 1903; Importance of Seward's year-round open harbor; Land investment in attracting the Institute of Marine Science; Challenge of finding...
- Strategies for the 21st century. Smirnoff, Steve R. // Alaska Business Monthly;Nov94, Vol. 10 Issue 11, Alaska Miners Association p1
Focuses on the economic development of Anchorage, Alaska in the 21st century. Government's role; Assistance to the manufacturing and service sectors; Changes in consumer markets; International trade and economic alliances.
- Gold and government: Fairbanks comes full circle. Holland, Jonathan // Alaska Business Monthly;Jun94, Vol. 10 Issue 6, p42
Presents the economic conditions of the town of Fairbanks in Alaska. Historiography; Effect of gold discoveries; Costs; Role of federal spending and funding; Employment reports; Revenues. INSET: Fairbanks time line..
- Diversifying the Alaskan economy: Political, Social, and Economic Constraints. Brown, William S.; Thomas, Clive S. // Journal of Economic Issues (Association for Evolutionary Economi;Jun96, Vol. 30 Issue 2, p599
Examines the Alaskan economy and explains why such wide fluctuations have occurred. Oil as the resource that dominates the Alaskan economy; Early days of the Alaskan economy; Fluctuations in the oil economy; Constraints on economic diversification.
- Anchorage Consumer Prices Up in 2003. // Alaska Business Monthly;Nov2003, Vol. 19 Issue 11, p8
Reports on the increase in consumer prices in the Anchorage Metropolitan Area in the first half of 2003.