When Times Are Tough, the Sales Tax Isn't Enough
- New tax could help Tennessee's budget stay in the black. McEntee, Christopher // Bond Buyer;11/18/99, Vol. 330 Issue 30771, p24
Focuses on Tennessee's taxation and economic situation. Amount of budget deficit which may be created if there is no tax reform; State Senate Finance Committee vote to adopt a graduated income tax; Criticism of the state's failure to utilize municipal bonds to fund highway projects.
- The glow is gone, but not the town. Jacobson, Louis // National Journal;3/01/97, Vol. 29 Issue 9, p420
Focuses on the socio-economic transitions occurring in Oak Ridge, Tennessee between the Cold War and the 21st century. Comparison between the federal government's past and present employment conditions; Role played by Lockheed Martin Corp. during the city's transition period; Branching out of...
- Catalyst for community capacity-building: A role for public sector practitioners. Mulligan, Richard K. // Economic Development Review;Fall95, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p58
Describes how community economic development approaches are applied to communities in Johnson City, Tennessee. Background of economic trends in the area; Changes adopted for the economic environment; Promotion of entrepreneurship; Outline of a development plan.
- Tennessee. Fine, Jacob // Bond Buyer;11/27/2000, Vol. 334 Issue 31024, p32
Reports on the downgrade of the credit rating of Tennessee. Diversification of the economy of the state; Outstanding general obligation debt of the state.
- Strong Economic Outlook Continues in Tennessee. Coles, Adriene D. // Education Week;02/17/99, Vol. 18 Issue 23, p26
Presents information on Tennessee Governor Don Sundquist's State of the State Address in February 8, 1999. His view on economic growth; His proposal to meet the challenges of the 21st century; Information on his proposal to cut business-tax rates.
- Despite triple-As, availability is key to Tennessee success. Molis, Jim // Bond Buyer;05/07/98, Vol. 324 Issue 30388, p32
Stresses that success of Tennessee's bond will be based on the availability of its bond supply and not solely on its triple A general obligation rating. Tennessee's bond attraction for tax conscious buyers from within the state and state specific funds; Standard & Poor's upgrading of Tennessee...
- Tennessee. // Bond Buyer;02/14/2000, Vol. 331 Issue 30828, p80S
Focuses on the economic conditions of Tennessee. efforts of the state to protect the rights of bondholders; Role of state authorities in the economy; Needs for water infrastructure; State and authorities general use of proceeds; Priorities of private activities.
- Fiscal Cliff Vote Should Sound Alariuin TN. Weaihersby, Ronald W. // Tennessee Tribune;1/10/2013, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p4A
The author discusses the impact of the approval of the majority of the Republican delegates in Tennessee over tax relief for individuals pushed by the U.S. government which will reach $400,000 annually on the economic situation of the poor state.
- Tennessee. // Print;Jul/Aug91, Vol. 45 Issue 4, p190
The article provides an overview of the graphic design business and economy in Tennessee. Howard Diehl of Image Design describes the effect of the recession on designers in the state. Whittle Communications focuses on video production and book publishing to compensate for print losses. Sherry...