Curbing a Deficit Without Deficit Financing
- For poverty-ridden Delta, commission is sign of hope. Simmons, G. // Black Enterprise;Dec89, Vol. 20 Issue 5, p20
Discusses efforts of the Lower Mississippi Delta Economic Commission, a multi-state group formed to attempt to reduce the area's rural poverty. Role of executive director Wilbur F. Hawkins and Representative Mike Espy; Key goals of the commission.
- Miss. Rep. Espy, Gov. Mabus blaze new political trail to push progress in state. Booker, S. // Jet;1/16/89, Vol. 75 Issue 15, p26
Outlines work Rep. Mike Espy and Gov. Ray Mabus have done to improve the economic condition of Mississippi.
- Gambling is winning for Mississippi. Salomon, Alan // Advertising Age;7/18/1994, Vol. 65 Issue 30, p10
Focuses on the effect of the gambling trade on Tunica County, Mississippi's economic conditions. Casino square footage of Mississippi compared to New Jersey; Revenues contributed by casinos in fiscal 1993; Employment contributed by casinos; Combined marketing budget of casinos statewide;...
- Coming Up Short. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;11/8/2001, Vol. 338 Issue 31261, p35
Focuses on financial status of Mississippi for the fiscal year 2001. Decline in general fund revenues; Revenue collections.
- What is the Mississippi Delta? A historian's perspective. Whayne, Jeannie M. // Arkansas Review: A Journal of Delta Studies;Apr99, Vol. 30 Issue 1, p3
Presents a historian's views about the Mississippi Delta. Zone of poverty; Myth of the antebellum plantation; Increase in the number of white people within the Delta after World War II.
- Mississippi. // Bond Buyer;02/14/2000, Vol. 331 Issue 30828, p49S
Focuses on the economic conditions of Mississippi. Impact of the adoption of technologies on borrowing process; Influence of tax-exempt private activity cap on the works of the state authorities; Role of authorities in the economic development of the state; State and local revenues; General use...
- New black-owned restaurant opens in South Jackson. // Jackson Advocate;1/29/2015, Vol. 77 Issue 17, p3A
A review is offered for the Donuts and Deli restaurant located in South Jackson, Mississippi.
- Catfish to Cotton, Mississippi co-ops make a difference. Torgerson, Randall E. // Rural Cooperatives;May/Jun98, Vol. 65 Issue 3, p2
Offers observation on how cooperatives in Mississippi help strengthen the state's rural economy. Role of cooperatives in the state's rural economy; Number one industry in Mississippi; Samples of cooperatively owned businesses in the state.
- The Roots of State Involvement in Industrial Development: Mississippi's Balance Agriculture with Industry Program, 1936-1940. Hudson, Tim W. // Economic Development Review;Fall2000, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p55
Examines the historical and geographical aspects of the Balance Agriculture with Industry (BAWI) program in Mississippi. Creation of BAWI; Involvement of the state in industrial development; Beneficiaries of the BAWI program.