Massachusetts Bond Cap Gets Upped as Budget Belt Tightens
- Public policy can help restore state's fiscal health. Zaremberg, Allan // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;11/28/2008, Issue 323950, p30
The author comments on the need of the California government to carry economic measures and revenue-raising proposals to address the increasing budget deficit. The author points out that Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger should implement short-term construction projects financed by federal funds or...
- The Mother of All Budget Sagas Just Keeps Going. Williams, Rochelle // Bond Buyer;3/8/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31836, Bond Buyer p68
Focuses on the budget proposal of California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. Amount of proposed budget calling in spending cuts; Proposal on bond issue to finance accumulated budget deficits; Optimistic assumption of the budget plan.
- Schwarzenegger Wins: Bond Plan to Get Vote. Sack, Joetta L. // Education Week;1/7/2004, Vol. 23 Issue 16, p22
California voters will decide in March 2004 whether the state should authorize a $15 billion bond to help manage its fiscal crisis. Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger readily signed the bond-vote measure on December 12, 2003 shortly after it was approved by the legislature. The Republican governor...
- R.I. Governor Pushes Small Tax Hikes, Program Cuts in $2.9B Plan. Piazza, Johanna // Bond Buyer;2/27/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31830, p3
Reports that Rhode Island Governor Donald Carcieri has launched a fiscal budget that seeks to close a deficit through a small tax increases and program cuts while avoiding an increase in either income or property taxes. Amount of tobacco bonds issued in 2002; Proposal to increase cigarette...
- Spending Cap Would Help Calif.'s $15B. Williams, Rochelle // Bond Buyer;11/26/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31770, p1
Reports on the planned usage of the multi-billion-dollar of general obligation bonds by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger in California. Aim of the governor to pay for the state's accumulated budget deficit; Options of the state in paying for the budget deficits; Comparison on the risk of general...
- Schwarzenegger's $15B Plan Raises Doubts From Lawmakers. Williams, Rochelle // Bond Buyer;11/21/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31767, p34
Reports on the plan of Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to place a bond measure to pay off the accumulated budget deficit on the ballot in California. Reaction of legislators to the governor's plan; Impact of the proposed bond measure on the bond proposal for school construction deal; Rating of...
- N.Y., Deadlocked on Tobacco Bonds, Mulls Interim Plan. McKaig, Ryan // Bond Buyer;3/11/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31590, p3
Reports on possible plans of using multi billion dollar in tobacco bonds to help in budget deficit for fiscal 2003 of New York. Proposal for providing security to multimillion dollar in annual payments under the national tobacco settlement; Reason for increase in budget deficit for the state;...
- Flint, Mich., Fiscal Review Team Says Debt Sale Is Doubtful. Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;5/1/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31377, p50
Reports on the budget deficit of the state government in Michigan. Plan of issuing fiscal stabilization bonds; Disagreement of the city council members on the budget cut; Source of revenue.
- Miami Hopes to Redeem Its Image With $130 Million Deal. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;5/28/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31395, p37
Reports the strategic plans of Miami to cover up the million budget deficit in Florida. Plans to sell general obligation bonds; Creation of bond program oversight board; Adoption of rules for bond issuance.