Civic culture and democracy from Europe to America
Tags: CIVIC improvement
- So condemn them, already! Elvin, John // Insight on the News;07/27/98, Vol. 14 Issue 27, p35
Presents information on a report by the National Commission on Civic Renewal which indicates that Americans feel powerless when it comes to fulfilling their civic duties. Who Americans blame for the situation; Who funded the study; Comments from Bill Bennet, former education secretary.
- Decrying nations's poor `civic health,' group urges schools to take action. Blair, Julie // Education Week;07/08/98, Vol. 17 Issue 42, p15
Presents information a report, entitled `A Nation of Spectators,' released by the National Commission on Civic Renewal in 1998. What the report recommends; Objective of the commission; How schools will benefit from recommendations made in the report; Comments from Larry Dieringer, executive...
- Detroit should cut departments, alter tax collection, study says. Ankeny, Robert // Crain's Detroit Business;2/3/2003, Vol. 19 Issue 5, p21
Cites a study conducted by the Committee on Operational and Financial Re-engineering which suggests the need for the centralization of departmental functions in Detroit, Michigan. Urge made by the Committee to the city mayor to provide effective customer service; Need for scrutiny of the city's...
- South Tucson plans Fourth Ave. face lift. Leon, Maria // Inside Tucson Business;02/02/98, Vol. 7 Issue 45, p1
Reports that the city of South Tucson will soon launch a revitalization effort on South Fourth Avenue in Tucson, Arizona. Purpose of the development project; Development plans included in the project; Advantages of the project; Projected date of project completion; Source of funding.
- A great national undertaking. // World & I;Jul96, Vol. 11 Issue 7, p86
No abstract available.
- New name picked for IC SSMID. // Corridor Business Journal;4/30/2012, p13
The article reports that the name of the Iowa City Downtown Iowa City Self Supported Municipal Improvement District (SSMID) has been changed to the Iowa City Downtown District in 2012.
- Future fjords. Purvis, Andrew // Green Futures;Apr2010, Issue 76, p18
The article discusses the green makeover plan to renovate the town of Augustenborg, Denmark with a pedestrian-oriented space on the banks of the fjord, with ground source heat pumps, wind turbines, and biogas on the marina side, and solar PV roofscapes on the urban side.
- Heart starters. Kyriakopoulos, Vikki // Bulletin with Newsweek;12/31/96-1/1/97, Vol. 116 Issue 6053, p19
Discusses civic improvements in the works for Melbourne, Australia. The efforts to revitalize Swanston Street; The demolition of the water-wall of the city square; The revamping of the city square; The development of Federation Square; Plans from Melbourne Lord Mayor Ivan Deveson; The impact of...
- Election results for November 4, 1997. Tracey, Yvonne // Bond Buyer;11/07/97, Vol. 322 Issue 30269, p36
Presents election results on approved, defeated, and unofficially defeated projects in the United States as of November 4, 1997. Cost and name of programs and its designated district.