TEXAS: Spending Limits
- How to deal with the budget deficit. Powers, Claudia // Fairfield County Business Journal;1/13/2003, Vol. 42 Issue 2, p26
Focuses on the ways to deal with budget deficit. Solution to deal with job cut due to budget; Lack of help provided by leadership to deal with this situation; Increase in the burden for taxpayers by the increase in the tax by budget; Loss faced by state because of millionaires' tax; Need to...
- Deficit Reduction Redone. Schnepper, Jeff A.; Santili, Charles J. // USA Today Magazine;May91, Vol. 119 Issue 2552, p13
Comments on tax changes in U.S. under the Gramm-Rudman Act. Impact of the law on federal spending and budget deficit; Keys to effective tax planning; Provisions of the Act; Likelihood of deficit reduction under the Act.
- Stockmania Revisited. // National Review;10/23/1987, Vol. 39 Issue 20, p18
Reports on the estimated deficit of the U.S. budget for 1987. Role of the growth of the economy; Percentage increase of the tax revenues; Underestimation of tax receipts by the Congressional Budget Office.
- The 2% Solution to The Deficit. // Caribbean Business;6/2/2005, Vol. 33 Issue 21, p22
The article presents the author's proposal to overcome budget deficit by increasing taxes. The author remarks that, even though fiscal problems of the U.S. have to do with overspending, not undertaxing, the fact remains that major, serious spending cuts are probably politically impossible...
- Republicans must atone for past excesses. Dodosh, Mark // Crain's Cleveland Business;3/10/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 10, p10
Reports on consequences suffered by the state of Ohio due to passage of an incomplete plan to address budget deficit of the state and due to profligate government spending by Republicans in the state from 1990 to 2003. Budget deficit of the state for fiscal year 2003; Average annual inflation...
- Private investment will aid state's economic recovery. Lockhart, Lee // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;11/5/2001, Issue 322844, p34
Focuses on the budget deficit of the state government in California. Cause of the financial resources reduction; Approaches for economic recovery; Role of private business investment in the economic recovery of the state.
- Indiana Gov. Wants Agency Cuts, Reserve Spending to Cover Budget. Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;7/13/2001, Vol. 337 Issue 31180, p5
Reports on Indiana Governor Frank O'Bannon's announcement of agency cuts and reserve spending to cover a budget shortfall. Efforts to cope with the state's first negative revenue growth in 20 years; 2001 budget.
- Evaluating alternative explanations of post war federal deficits. Goff, Brian L. // Public Choice;Mar1993, Vol. 75 Issue 3, p247
Focuses on federal deficits during the post World War 2 period. Result of temporary fluctuations in government spending and revenue; Significance of the optimal finance variables; Association of longer term trends in deficits and interest group variables.
- "Starve the Beast": Origins and Development of a Budgetary Metaphor. Bartlett, Bruce // Independent Review;Summer2007, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p5
The article discusses the origin and the development of the theory called "starve the beast," a conservative political strategy which uses budget deficits to attempt to force future reductions in government expenditure. The author highlights the reasons why the theory became prominent not just...