Low Sun Exposure and Elevated Serum Prostate Specific Antigen in African American and Caucasian Men
- I know I'm supposed to wear sunscreen and cover myself from head to, toe like a Bedouin when I go outside, but now there's all this concern about vitamin-D deficiency. So, sun or no sun? // New York;6/11/2012, Vol. 45 Issue 20/21, p61
The article provides an answer to a question concerning vitamin-D deficiency and skin cancer.
- Vitamin D Deficiency-Cancer Link Theory Undermines Sun Safety. Raymond, Joan // Dermatology Times;Aug99, Vol. 20 Issue 8, p6
Reports on the theoretical association of vitamin D deficiency with skin cancer. Speculations that regular sunscreen usage may lead to vitamin D deficiency; Physiologic function of vitamin D; Claims by tanning salon industry that its ultraviolet rays are safe.
- Guarding Against the Dangers of Vitamin D Deficiency. Johnson, Tiesha D. // Life Extension;May2007, Vol. 13 Issue 5, p42
The article examines the factors that contribute to the widespread prevalence of vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D is playing a central role in controlling immunity and inflammation. Vitamin D may be useful in preventing and treating colon and prostate cancers and it is effective in countering...
- The Prevalence of Vitamin D Deficiency Is Similar between Thyroid Nodule and Thyroid Cancer Patients. Laney, Nathan; Meza, Jane; Lyden, Elizabeth; Erickson, Judi; Treude, Kelly; Goldner, Whitney // International Journal of Endocrinology;2010, p1
Introduction. There are reported associations between vitamin D deficiency and breast, prostate, and colon cancer, but the relationship in thyroid cancer has not been evaluated. Methods. We evaluated serum calcium, creatinine, albumin, and 25-hydroxy vitamin D (25-OH-D) in 42 thyroid nodule, 45...
- Low vitamin D could lead to higher cancer risk. // Urology Times;4/1/2006, Vol. 34 Issue 4, p29
The article highlights the results of a study which suggests that correcting vitamin D deficiency could significantly lower the risk of several types of cancer, including prostate cancer. It shows that vitamin D and its metabolites reduce the incidence of many types of cancer by inhibiting tumor...
- Higher Vitamin D Levels Associated With Better Prostate Cancer Prognosis. Kiefer, Dale // Life Extension;Jul2009, Vol. 15 Issue 7, p19
The article discusses a study which found that men with that higher levels of vitamin D have higher chances of prostate cancer survival. The study conducted by Norwegians scientists revealed that men with medium-to-high serum levels of vitamin D have better chances of surviving compared to those...
- Clinical: Journals Watch - Vitamin D, smoking and stroke. Newson, Louise // GP: General Practitioner;7/8/2011, p24
The article offers information on recent medical research. A study illustrated that symptomatic vitamin D deficiency remains prevalent in the west of Scotland and there are twice as many cases diagnosed in 2008 as in previous years and most t of them are South Asian children. Another study...
- The Vitamin D/CYP24A1 Story in Cancer. King, Amanda N.; Beer, David G.; Christensen, Paul J.; Simpson, Robert U.; Ramnath, Nithya // Anti-Cancer Agents in Medicinal Chemistry;2010, Vol. 10 Issue 3, p213
There is increasing evidence linking the incidence of certain cancers to low serum Vitamin D levels. The active metabolite of Vitamin D, calcitriol (1, 25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3, 1,25(OH)2D3) apart from a crucial role in maintaining mineral homeostasis and skeletal functions, has antiproliferative,...
- Vitamin D depletion: of clinical significance in advanced cancer? Stone, Carol A.; Kenny, Rose Anne; Healy, Martin; Walsh, J. Bernard; Lawlor, Peter G. // Supportive Care in Cancer;Jul2011, Vol. 19 Issue 7, p865
A letter to the editor is presented regarding the clinical significance of Vitamin D deficiency in cancer diseases.