Literacy gets big boosts in California and Texas
- SPLO�NE KNJI�NICE IN IZOBRA�EVANJE ODRASLIH. �inko, Simona // Andrago�ka spoznanja: The Andragogic Perspectives;Sep2012, Issue 3, p53
The paper discusses the conceptual and legal basis for adult education in public libraries. In the second part it presents the results of the empirical research investigating interest to participate in different fields of education. The study included 943 adult users of Ljubljana City Library...
- Back to School. Pergander, Mary // American Libraries;Sep2008, Vol. 39 Issue 8, p67
The author talks about adult education for librarians. She mentions that many local high schools and community colleges offer reasonably priced general-interest adult education classes that meet only once or regularly over a period of few months. She notes that libraries may give the librarians...
- No secret handshakes in New Orleans. Gaughan, Thomas M. // American Libraries;Jun90, Vol. 21 Issue 6, p491
Discusses the exclusive nature of the Association of Research Libraries (ARL) Membership Meetings as of June 1990. Consideration of the female presence in the ARL; Proposals for higher education reform in the 1990s; How ARL's town meeting focused on preservation; Plight of public libraries to...
- Brochures on placement, continuing ed, youth services. // American Libraries;Jun90, Vol. 21 Issue 6, p598
Discusses how the American Library Associations (ALAs) Office for Library Personnel Resources (OLPR) is offering four free brochures to be distributed at libraries across the U.S. Consideration of a 'Guide to Library Placement Sources' and 'ALA Is Continuing Education.'
- Libraries and literacy: `One of the best systems in the world because everyone can use it'. // APLIS;Jun95, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p86
Presents an edited version of chapter ten of `Enhancing Participation in Adult Literacy Programs,' an unpublished October 1994 report to the Commonwealth Department of Employment, Education and Training. Potential of public libraries in adult literacy; Role of libraries in Western Australia;...
- LOCAL NEWS AND EVENTS. // Collinsville Herald;8/29/2012, Vol. 54 Issue 35, pB2
The article offers news briefs related to the community of Collinsville, Edwardsville and Glen Carbon in Illinois as of August 29, 2012 including the Alcohol Countermeasure Enforcement (ACE) period of surveillance to be held by Illinois State Police, the unfounded reports received by...
- Open learning in public libraries. Osborne, Elizabeth // Adults Learning;Mar96, Vol. 7 Issue 7, p162
Focuses on the issues regarding the provision of open learning initiatives in public libraries in Great Britain. Role of public libraries in adult independent education; Open learning approach adapted by public libraries; Development of the practice; Implementation.
- No single measure: The national survey of adult literacy. Wickert, Rosie // APLIS;Sep90, Vol. 3 Issue 3, p133
Describes the background of the first adult literacy survey in Australia. Concepts of literacy; Reading attitudes; Writing attitudes; Writing practices; Potential for libraries and librarians to promote and develop literacy.
- The impact of literacy programs of libraries. McQueen, Julie // APLIS;Sep90, Vol. 3 Issue 3, p153
Focuses on the impact of literacy programs on libraries. Type of work expected of library staff; Work environment; Staff inservicing; Library staff awareness; Needs of literacy students.