Property-Tax Relief Big in Maine, as Groups Push Competing Petitions
- Pins and needles. // Crain's Cleveland Business;01/15/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 3, p10
Comments on the decision of Ohio governor Taft not to support the property tax proposal. Speculations on what Taft will propose to address the Ohio Supreme Court's mandate for an equitable school-financing formula; Opposition against the idea of pooling and then re-distributing certain business...
- N.H. court rejects school-funding deal. Harris, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;10/18/99, Vol. 330 Issue 30749, p2
Reports that the state Supreme Court has objected to the phase-in of a statewide property tax in New Hamsphire. Impact of the Supreme Court's ruling on New Hampshire's education funding plan which relied on revenues from property tax.
- Today's landed gentry. Chinni, Dante // Washington Monthly;Oct96, Vol. 28 Issue 10, p24
Criticizes the school funding system in the US and its dependence on local property taxes. Inequalities resulting from the system; Efforts in several states to change the system; Case of Michigan; Origin of the system.
- Where's the new money for school coming from? Crain, Keith // Crain's Detroit Business;8/30/93, Vol. 9 Issue 35, p6
Opinion. Comments on the impact of the elimination of six billion dollars in property taxes under the Michigan legislature on the financing of education. Involvement of state in local school funding; Non-replacement of source of funds.
- College heads like property tax. Raphael, Steve // Crain's Detroit Business;10/4/93, Vol. 9 Issue 40, p3
Reports on Michigan college presidents' preference for property tax to finance public education. Governor John Engler's plan for reforming Michigan's school financing structure; Educators' support for educational reforms; Recommendations by Oakland University president Sandra Packard and...
- News in brief: State capitals. // Education Week;11/20/96, Vol. 16 Issue 12, p13
Reports on developments related to special education funds and property taxes for the week ending November 20, 1996. Revamp of New York's special education funding system; Absence of solutions after months of studying ways to lower property taxes in Texas; Possible tax-relief package.
- Shifting the burden. Coles, Adrienne D. // Education Week;09/27/2000, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p17
Reports the proposal of Governor Jesse Ventura to shift basic education cost from local property-tax bills to the state government in Minnesota. Suggestion of expanding income, sales or other state taxes; Concern over the stability of school funding under the proposed changes; Plan of...
- Taxes, politics, and education. Pipho, Chris // Phi Delta Kappan;Sep93, Vol. 75 Issue 1, p6
Opinion. Discusses the local property taxation for the financing of education in Texas. Stand of Governor John Engler; Senators for removal of property tax contribution to education; Colorado's constitutional amendment to limit taxing.
- Financing schools: The perspective of a school board member. Couch, Roger // South Carolina Business Journal;Nov94, Vol. 13 Issue 10, p8
Opinion. Comments on the funding alternatives for schools and colleges in South Carolina in the event when the property tax, main financial source for education, is repealed. Estimated annual amount contributed by the tax for school purposes; Replacement with sales tax exemptions; Inequities...