Massachusetts Governor Warns of Layoffs, Cuts to Offset Budget Gap
- OHIO: Columbus Eyes Tax Hike. Devitt, Caitlin // Bond Buyer;4/29/2009, Vol. 368 Issue 33106, p9
The article reports on the proposal to raise the city's income tax to cope with the increasing budget shortfall in Columbus, Ohio. Mayor Michael Coleman proposes to increase income tax from two percent to 2.5 percent to address budget deficit. Coleman asserts that he would be force to lay off...
- With Revenues Falling. City Considers Layoffs. Randolph, Ned // San Diego Business Journal;4/20/2009, Vol. 30 Issue 16, p14
The article reports on the preparation of employee layoffs for the closure of a $6.3 million budget shortfall in Escondido, California for the fiscal year of 2009. It notes that the annual revenue of the city will be at $79 million. It predicts that the layoffs will directly save $3.7 million....
- Money Woes Slow State and Local Government Hiring. // PA Times;Apr2012, Vol. 35 Issue 2, p1
The article offers information on the reduction in layoffs and the efforts of state and local government to adjust retirement and health care benefits in Washington, D.C.
- Wisconsin Governments Face $6B Unfunded Liability for Retiree Health Care. SHIELDS, YVETTE // Bond Buyer;9/26/2008, Vol. 365 Issue 32970, p22
The article reports on the $6 billion unfunded liability for retiree health care benefits faced by Wisconsin's local governments. This report looks at the 27 local governmental units with budgets of more than $100 million. It warns the risk of other post-employment liabilities pose to taxpayers...
- Systems show cutbacks can be accomplished with compassion. // Modern Healthcare;3/4/96, Vol. 26 Issue 10, p90
Editorial. Comments on the tendency of medical care employers to layoff employees during cost cutting programs in the United States. Implications of the strategy to companies; Need for strong management leadership and input of physicians and employees.
- Aboriginal health delivery systems slashed. Taillon, Joan // Raven's Eye;Feb2002, Vol. 5 Issue 10, p8
Reports the restructuring plan of government for the delivery of health services in British Columbia. Impact of provincial cutbacks and layoffs on First Nations health organizations; Restricting goals of the province; Process of developing Aboriginal health plans.
- Albany's budget of bribes. // Crain's New York Business;4/3/2006, Vol. 22 Issue 14, p8
This article criticizes the budget passed by the state legislature of New York last week. The budget represents political bribery at its most extreme. The business community must respond. This budget has something for everyone. New York City and Mayor Michael Bloomberg get billions for school...
- Brave new world disorders. Whiteman, Rob // Public Finance;Jan/Feb2014, Issue 1/2, p10
In this article the author comments on integration between the local government and healthcare sector of Great Britain in terms of finance. He states that the two come into contact only when its related to public health and hospital discharges into social care and there is no integration in...
- ILLINOIS: House Throws Out Vetoes. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;10/10/2007, Vol. 362 Issue 32730, p9
The article reports on the veto of a $400 million spending by Governor Rod Blagojevich from the Illinois' $59 billion fiscal 2008 budget. It asserted that the House vote came after a series of hearings on the vetoes and the projects and facilities affected by the spending cuts. Moreover,...