Rebuilding the home of national defense
- VIRGINIA. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;9/18/2006, Vol. 257 Issue 11, p56
The article reports on the selection of Manhattan Construction to build the Public Safety and Transportation Operations Center in Fairfax County, Virginia. The estimated cost of the construction project is $56-million. The location and integration of the facility with county, state and regional...
- January 2003 marks the 60th birthday of a five-story, five-sided 'Puzzle Palace by the Potomac'. Kelly, C. Brian // Military History;Feb2003, Vol. 19 Issue 6, p82
Highlights the 60th anniversary of the Pentagon building completed in January 23, 1943 in Virginia. Statistics associated with the construction of the Pentagon; Description of the final form of the building.
- America's Lasting Monument. // Soldiers;Mar2002, Vol. 57 Issue 3, p18
Presents information on the construction of the Pentagon Building in Virginia in 1941. Cost of the building; Size.
- The Pentagon. Capps, Alan P. // American History Illustrated;May/Jun93, Vol. 28 Issue 2, p46
Discusses the American landmark known as the Pentagon. Completed in a mere sixteen months during World War II; Architectural behemoth; Name synonymous with the US military establishment; One of the largest and most recognizable office buildings in the world; Covers 29 acres; Five 921-foot walls;...
- Building the Pentagon. Lee, R. Alton // USA Today Magazine;Jan93, Vol. 121 Issue 2572, p90
Discusses the Pentagon, which had become a legend before it officially opened its doors on January 15, 1943. Structure; Size; Pattern; Architecture; Costs; President Franklin D. Roosevelt's role; World War II; The Cold War; Uses; Symbol of American industrial order.
- Pentagon Designed for Records Storage. Swartz, Nikki // Information Management Journal;May/Jun2003, Vol. 37 Issue 3, p10
Reports that the structure of the Pentagon building in Virginia, was originally designed for document and records storage, which may have saved lives when the structure was attacked on September 11, 2001. Engineering elements used for the structure; Description of the structural frame.
- Pentagon braces for a makeover. Dillin, John // Christian Science Monitor;2/12/2001, Vol. 93 Issue 54, p1
Reports on the possibility that the United States Pentagon could face changes as of February 2001 due to a review by Andrew Marshall, who was hired by U.S. President George W. Bush.
- Pentagon rebuilding in full swing. // Contractor Magazine;Nov2001, Vol. 48 Issue 11, p5
Focuses on the renovation and building of the Pentagon building in Virginia as of November 2001. Information on the re-occupancy schedules established; Areas having the longest recovery period; Problem with controlling mold and mildew in the building.
- In Government We Trust. Vangen, Clara M.W. // Buildings;Jun2001, Vol. 95 Issue 6, p40
Highlights the renovations for the United States Pentagon. Architectural design of the building; Sanitation status of the building; Phases of the renovation.