Searching for the Perfect BOM
- INSIGHT MANUFACTURING. // Food Manufacture;May2001, Vol. 76 Issue 5, p24
Focuses on the importance of understanding where the source of the greatest cost reduction opportunities exists. Importance of the understanding the true costs of products in reducing them; Insensitivity of traditional costing methods to the existing complex business processes; Benefit of...
- The Effect of Deviations from Optimal Production Schedules on Batch-Level Cost Drivers. Albright, Thomas L. // Journal of Managerial Issues;Fall98, Vol. 10 Issue 3, p267
Reports the results of a study undertaken at two plant sites in two diverse industries for the purpose of extending the literature of manufacturing overhead. Background literature on Activity-Based Costing/Management; Manufacturing processes evaluated; Hypotheses, methodology and results.
- At What Price? Comparing Costs of Competing Production Methods. Baran, Leo // Machine Design;8/22/2002, Vol. 74 Issue 16, p93
Discusses major factors that contribute to part cost of production processing. Factors affecting material costs; Advantages of die casting; Information on factors influencing processing costs; Areas of postproduction processes.
- Finance on the floor... the production floor, that is! McShane, Peter K. // Business Journal Serving Southern Tier, CNY, Mohawk Valley, Fing;7/25/94, Vol. 10 Issue 15, p21
Presents guidelines for cost control of manufacturing processes to compete with low-cost producers. Installation of a tracking system; Determination of actual unit costs; Interpretation of job-cost summaries; Addition of time element to the calculation of production expenses.
- Grinding in lean operations. // T & P: Tooling & Production;Jun2003, Vol. 69 Issue 6, p24
Focuses on the advantages of adopting the concept of lean manufacturing. Reduction of overhead costs; Improvement on the manufacturing process; Way of meeting the demands of the customers.
- Take the guesswork out of budgeting. Langford, Bert // Folio: The Magazine for Magazine Management;01/01/98 Supplement, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p172
Suggests ways to improve magazine manufacturing costs. Advice for publishers; How companies can improve the situation; Achievements available to the publisher.
- Challenge for the new millennium: Managing mask costs. Rygler, Kenneth A. // Solid State Technology;Oct2001, Vol. 44 Issue 10, p154
Recommends several strategies for reducing mask costs of standard products. Way for photomask producers to reduce mask cost; Cost of initial photomask sets; Possible impact of the optical lithography technology on the semiconductor industry.
- Reducing manufacturing costs. Segar, A.M. // Management Review;May75, Vol. 64 Issue 5, p46
Discusses a systematic approach to reduce manufacturing costs. Rules for cost reduction; Components of product costs; Benefits of the approach.
- Join the chain gang. Excell, Mike // Metalworking Production;Apr2002, Vol. 146 Issue 4, p8
Focuses on the importance of designing and redesigning business processes for a better cost reduction. Activities related to designing the process; Remarks from author Doctor John Garside; Questions to be answered in developing a structured design for the manufacturing process.