Union names and shames `chauvinistic' universities
- Penn. report proposes limits on faculty. Long, Cynthia D. // Academe;Jan/Feb96, Vol. 82 Issue 1, p9
Reports on the final report of the Pennsylvania House committee on higher education reform that imposes limits to college teachers in Pennsylvania. Partisan disagreements within the committee; Four key recommendations of the report.
- States battle workload mandates. // Academe;May/Jun94, Vol. 80 Issue 3, p4
Discusses legislation in Ohio regarding faculty hours for university professors. Implications of the law; Opposition from university and college professors in Ohio; Similar legislation in other states.
- University reform bill to have profs compete. Pisarova, Martina // Slovak Spectator;06/04/2001, Vol. 7 Issue 22, p3
Reports on the proposal added by the government of Slovakia to a university reform bill which would reward top-rated professors. Aims of the proposal; Reactions of professors; Arguments of universities against the proposal.
- So much for free speech. // NEA Today;Feb97, Vol. 15 Issue 6, p9
Reports about Sue Birkholz, a biology professor who settled a lawsuit against Sheridan College. How Wyoming Education Association (WEA) helped Birkholz in her case; Background information about the case; Comments of WEA about the case.
- It's Not Just Yelling Fire... Springer, Ann D. // Academe;Jan/Feb2002, Vol. 88 Issue 1, p78
Explores the position of college faculty in addressing or assessing matters of public concern in the United States. Limitation of the First Amendment provision on a faculty's freedom of speech rights; Examples of cases which tested the matters of public concern rights; Ways in which faculty's...
- Mount Marty College (South Dakota). Bergquist, James M.; Gudeman, Roxanne Harvey // Academe;May/Jun99, Vol. 85 Issue 3, p51
Reports a case of illegal suspension of a college professors in Mary Mount College in South Dakota. Denial of due process; Displeasure to conduct as motive for dismissal; Faculty role in academic governance.
- Top news stories of the week from Puerto Rico. // Caribbean Business;8/25/1994, Vol. 22 Issue 34, p43
Presents news stories from Puerto Rico for the week ending August 25, 1994. Includes the Commonwealth Supreme Court's denial of faculty members' syndication rights; Passage of the Minors Sustenance Law; Superior Court judge's ruling that special provisions of the Commonwealth Electoral Law...
- MAY THE COURSE BE WITH YOU. Palattella, John // Lingua Franca: The Review of Academic Life;Mar2001, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p50
Discusses the issue of course ownership involving professors and universities in the United States. Why copyright has been overlooked; Course template created by eCollege.com; Task force created by the University of California to revisit copyright policy.
- Sweden: court battles for equal pay. Ornerborg, Elisabet // UNESCO Courier;Jun2000, Vol. 53 Issue 6, p23
Looks at the gender gap in the workplace in Sweden, in which women receive less in compensation than men. Cases of employment discrimination; Collective agreement for wage increases.