THE IMMIGRATION POLICIES OF THE COMMONWEALTH GOVERNMENT
- An Asian beat rumbles across Australia. Tefft, Sheila // Christian Science Monitor;5/31/95, Vol. 87 Issue 129, p9
Focuses on the increase of Asian population in Australia. View of Henry Tsang, Sydney's deputy lord mayor on Australia's ambivalence towards a multiethnic identity; Cabramatta's problems to symbolize Australia's future problems; Impact of the rise in immigration on Australia; Attitude of the...
- Not so happy returns. Bagnall, Diana // Bulletin with Newsweek;01/09/2001, Vol. 119 Issue 6256, p15
Focuses on the need for business migrants in Australia. Details of the business skills program of the government; Statistics on the number of migrants involved in wholesale trade and manufacturing; Entry criteria for business migrants.
- Few jobs in Australia. Repin, George // British Medical Journal;11/3/1979, Vol. 2 Issue 6198, p1165
Comments on the tightened requirements for the immigration of doctors in Australia. Concern of the Australian Medical Association on the oversupply of medical manpower; Inefficiency of the Australian medical manpower planning; Fear on the decline in the competence of individual doctors due to...
- Australia's convict origins. Fletcher, Brian // History Today;Oct92, Vol. 42 Issue 10, p39
Chronicles the ambiguities Australians have felt over the years towards the nation's `Founding Fathers.' The emergence of republicanism and a more assertive government in Australia; The convict era was still sufficiently close to arouse concern in Australia by the end of the nineteenth century;...
- A great place to live. // Bulletin with Newsweek;4/23/2002, Vol. 120 Issue 6321, p44
Focuses on the economic aspects of migration in Australia. Population levels of the country; Disclosure on the number of population by the Australian Bureau of Statistics; Rate of immigration in the country. INSET: The migrant's view, by Diana Bagnall..
- Melting plot. McQueen, Humphrey // Bulletin with Newsweek;10/9/2001, Vol. 119 Issue 6296, p32
Examines the history of migration in Australia. Sources of immigrants in the country; Determinants for the peopling; Discussion of eugenic issues.
- The migration revolution. McKibbin, Brian // Bulletin with Newsweek;12/20/94, Vol. 116 Issue 5951, p39
Reports on the increase in migrant arrivals in Australia as of December 1994.
- Maltese crossing. York, Barry // Bulletin with Newsweek;12/31/96-1/1/97, Vol. 116 Issue 6053, p49
Discusses the relationship between the Mediterranean island of Malta and Australia. Number of Maltese immigrating to Australia by 1966; Details about Malta; The impact of Gerald Strickland; The story of Philip `Pinu' Micallef; The dual loyalties that Maltese immigrants to Australia feel; The...
- Migrants and the law. Crock, Dr. Mary // Legaldate;Jul98, Vol. 10 Issue 3, p5
Explores some of the issues that arise from the process of accepting and settling migrants into the Australian community. How legal system handles linguistic and cultural diversity; Specific assumptions embedded in the laws and practice. INSET: Student activities, by Lynette Nixon.