Plaintiffs in Ayers Suit Can't Opt Out of Class
- LEGAL CHECKLIST. // People Management;10/10/2002, Vol. 8 Issue 20, p19
Discusses several legal cases on work discrimination in Great Britain. Liversidge versus Chief Constable of Bedfordshire Police; Chief Constable of Cumbria versus McGlennon; O'Neill versus DSG Retail.
- AMERICAN INDIAN STUDENT GROUPS FILE DISCRIMINATION COMPLAINT AGAINST U-MICHIGAN. // Black Issues in Higher Education;09/14/2000, Vol. 17 Issue 15, p12
Reports on a discrimination lawsuit filed by American Indian student groups against the University of Michigan. Defendants in the lawsuit; Accusation against the university; Complaints against the Michigamua campus society.
- Students Sue Over Campus Relocation Effort. // Black Issues in Higher Education;09/14/2000, Vol. 17 Issue 15, p13
Reports on federal racial discrimination lawsuit filed by students at the Capital Community College in Hartford, New Haven, Connecticut. Purpose of the lawsuit; Number of minority students of the college; Concerns of the students.
- Federal Court Upholds UW Law School's Use of Race. // Black Issues in Higher Education;7/4/2002, Vol. 19 Issue 10, p14
Discusses the ruling of Judge Thomas Zilly of the U.S. District Court in Seattle, Washington in June 2002 on the race discrimination lawsuit filed against the University of Washington Law School by White applicants Katuria Smith, Angela Rock, and Michael Pyle. Background on the case; Discussion...
- A Reformer Who Means Business. Salter, Chuck // Fast Company;Apr2003, Issue 69, p102
Features racial discrimination lawyer Cyrus Mehri. Contributions to the racial discrimination cases; Description of Mehri; Percentage of the settlements that are allocated for attorney's fees; Criticism to Mehri; Common complaint among corporate defense attorneys. INSET: CYRUS MEHRI'S HURRY-UP...
- Court Revives Part of Fired Prof's Discrimination Suit. Freedman, Eric // Community College Week;11/11/2002, Vol. 15 Issue 7, p14
Reports on the ruling of the 6th Circuit of the U.S. Court of Appeals in Cincinnati that Robert Cox, a Afro-American employee, can pursue a race discrimination lawsuit against the Shelby State Community College as of November 2002. Complaints filed by Cox against the college; Basis of the...
- The Affirmative Action Byway on the Bust Junta's Joyless Ride to Economic Ruin. Woodford, John // Black Scholar;Summer2003, Vol. 33 Issue 2, p22
Discusses the effect of racism on affirmative action court decisions in the U. S. Details of the emergence of affirmative action cases in the country; Decision of the Supreme court on the Bakke case; Information on a case filed by the Center for Individual Rights against the University of...
- Squaring Accounts. // njbiz;2/3/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p5
Reports on the agreement of FleetBoston Financial to settle a discrimination lawsuit and help New Jersey's Sikh community. Details on the lawsuit; Information on the programs organized by FleetBoston to help the Sikh community.
- Equal employment opportunity. // Labor Law Journal;Dec91, Vol. 42 Issue 12, p830
Presents news briefs on cases concerning equal employment opportunity and other labor issues in the U.S. as of December 1991. Details of the case Byrnes v. Herion Inc. which shows that job title does not constitute equal pay; Age discrimination issue in Wilson v. Monarch Paper Co.; Several...