Peer Tutoring in a Physical Education Setting: Influence of Tutor Skill Level on Novice Learners' Motivation and Performance
- Adding Peer Mentors to a School-Based Physical Activity Pilot: The Heart Healthy Kids Program. Spencer, Rebecca; Bower, Jenna; Yates, Gillian; Kirk, Sara F. L.; Hancock Friesen, Camille // Physical & Health Education Journal;Autumn2013, Vol. 79 Issue 3, p14
The purpose of the Heart Healthy Kids (H2K) program is to me education and mentoring to improve school-based physical activity levels of Grades 4, 5, and 6 students in Nova Scotia. The intervention is based on the social ecological model and targets multiple levels of the environment to impact...
- Creating Opportunities to Provide a Balance. // Physical & Health Education Journal;Summer2003, Vol. 69 Issue 2, p11
The article reports on the comprehensive health programs launched by Steve Friesen, department head of Physical Education and Health at St. James Catholic Secondary School in Guelph, Ontario. Friesen believes that physical education must also be promoted and prioritized like mathematics and...
- Does peer mediation really work? Gerber, Sterling // Professional School Counseling;Feb99, Vol. 2 Issue 3, p169
Discusses the use of peer mediation in resolving conflict among students. Benefits claimed of such programs; Questions over peer mediation's longevity on the educational scene; Results of an evaluation of a peer mediation program.
- High school peer counseling: The relationship between student satisfaction and peer counselors'... Morey, Richard E.; Miller, C. Dean // School Counselor;Mar93, Vol. 40 Issue 4, p293
Presents a study aimed at identifying factors that correlate with student satisfaction with peer counseling in high schools. Role of peer counselor as a big brother or sister; Student preferences for helping styles; Selection and training of peer counselors.
- Project SAVE: Promoting mental health for disadvantaged... Walsh, Sandra M.; Johnson, Thomas H. // School Counselor;Jan96, Vol. 43 Issue 3, p218
Reports on the middle school peer facilitator program, Students Actively Valuing Education (SAVE), in the United States. Reasons and goals for SAVE; History and content of project SAVE; Program implementation; Evaluation strategies; Limitations; Conclusion; References.
- Peer helpers and perceived effectiveness. Myrick, Robert D.; Highland, William H.; Sabella, Russell A. // Elementary School Guidance & Counseling;Apr95, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p278
Examines the peer facilitator movement, peer training, basic helping roles and peer facilitator effectiveness. Peer facilitators as students who receive training in interpersonal and communication skills in order to help others; Training programs; Four basic helping roles; Effectiveness studies.
- Elementary School Peer Mediation. Angaran, Sally; Beckwith, Kathy // Education Digest;Sep99, Vol. 65 Issue 1, p23
Focuses on the peer mediation program of Dayton Grade School in Dayton, Oregon. Benefits of having a peer mediation program; Details on how mediation sessions are conducted; Keys to a successful peer mediation program.
- Peer counseling: Proceed with caution. Latham, Andrew S. // Educational Leadership;Oct97, Vol. 55 Issue 2, p77
Urges caution in the application of peer counseling among students. Details of research to substantiate the method's effectiveness; Need for professional support and training for students acting as counselors.
- Mentoring in a graduate counseling program: Students... Bowman, Robert L.; Bowman, Vicki E. // Counselor Education & Supervision;Sep90, Vol. 30 Issue 1, p58
Presents a student-to-student mentoring program which matches current and incoming student to ease the student's transition to and involvement in graduate school. The Purdue University mentoring program; Evaluation of the program; Effectiveness of the program; Suggestions for future mentoring...