"No Rehire" Policy Violates ADA
- JOB ANALYSIS, PERSONNEL SELECTION, AND THE ADA. Brannick, Michael T.; Brannick, Joan P.; Levine, Edward L. // Human Resource Management Review;Fall92, Vol. 2 Issue 3, p171
Discusses changes in the manner by which employers will screen and hire job applicants under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Definition of the term 'essential function'; Description of changes in employment perspective under the ADA; Use of job analysis and the determination of what...
- The Mailbag. // HR Specialist: Minnesota Employment Law;Apr2011, Vol. 4 Issue 4, p8
The article presents questions and answers related to U.S. labor laws such as paying an hourly wage to an exempt employee for his or her nonexempt work, the need to pay for the lactation breaks of nursing workers, and the legality of hiring an employee from major competitor.
- America, we have a problem: Hiring laws harm employers. Ballen, Stephen Z. // Crain's Chicago Business;11/29/99, Vol. 22 Issue 48, p11
Illustrates the problems faced by employers caused by hiring laws in the United States. Hypothetical situations in which the US National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) would hire astronauts based on hiring laws; Inability of employers to get detailed reports on prospective...
- White-Collar Musings. Peak, Martha H. // Management Review;Feb93, Vol. 82 Issue 2, p1
Presents a perspective on the strengths and weaknesses of the U.S. Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Opening of employment opportunities for people with 'special needs'; Importance of lowering the attitudinal barriers that keep people with disabilities out of the mainstream.
- Disability not equal to Liability. Lach, Jennifer // American Demographics;Jun99, Vol. 21 Issue 6, p21
Offers information on the Americans with Disability Act of the United States (US). Concerns of US companies; Statistical information on disabled workers; Major concern of disabled workers.
- 'We want to hire the handicapped, but. . .' Bennett, Keith W. // Management Review;Oct72, Vol. 61 Issue 10, p54
Presents an article condensed from the July 20, 1972 issue of the journal 'Iron Age,' about proposed legislation in the United States concerning the employment of the handicapped. Inclusion of a bill that would allow federal funds for training the handicapped; Consideration of a bill that would...
- President Signs Work Incentives Improvement Act. // ASHA Leader;01/18/2000, Vol. 5 Issue 1, p6
Announces that United States President Bill Clinton has signed into law the Work Incentives Improvement Act. Significance of the law to the employment of the disabled; Factors that have contributed to disincentive for people with disabilities to enter the work force; Cost of the enforcement of...
- Supreme Court Decision Gives Employers Leeway in ADA. Millar, Sheila A. // Paper, Film & Foil Converter;
Discusses a court case concerning the Americans with Disability Act (ADA) in the U.S. Scope of the ADA; Background of the case; Decision of the court; Implication of the court decision to converters, suppliers and customers.
- INSULT TO INJURY? Penttila, Chris // Entrepreneur;Dec2002, Vol. 30 Issue 12, p34
Discusses U.S. Supreme Court decisions regarding the Americans With Disabilities Act in 2002. Court's broad interpretation of the Act; Implications for handicapped workers.