Beware the Legal Risks of Hiring Temps
- Temping a popular route to a permanent job. // Management Accounting: Magazine for Chartered Management Account;Jan97, Vol. 75 Issue 1, p6
Reports that four out of 10 employers in Great Britain prefer to hire new recruits after a period of temporary work rather than rely on a traditional job interview. Method considered best for recruiting; Preference for a work-experience; Risks in job interviews.
- Managing temporary employees. Parrish, Deidra-Ann // Black Enterprise;Jan1998, Vol. 28 Issue 6, p23
Takes a look at the pros and cons to hiring temporary employees. Advantages of hiring temporary employees; Two reasons why companies use temporary employees; Dangers of hiring temporary workers; How to safeguard against misappropriation.
- Microsoft's Temporary Impact. Draughon, Richard Scott // Information Executive;Aug2001, Vol. 5 Issue 7, p10
Reports on the settlement of a dispute at Microsoft Corp. involving the employment status of temporary workers. Provision of stock options for Microsoft contractors; Adjustments in personnel policies that have precipitated from the case.
- Avoiding liability for temp workers. Wojcik, Joanne // Business Insurance;07/10/2000, Vol. 34 Issue 28, p20
Focuses on guidelines in the avoidance employer's liability in using temporary workers in the United States. Parallelism to the liability faced by Microsoft Corp. to its temporary workers; Account on Microsoft policies governing temporary employees.
- Finding an interim manager for your firm. Maynard, Roberta // Nation's Business;May97, Vol. 85 Issue 5, p12
Offers advice in finding an interim executive for a defined period. Reasons for finding such a person; Pitfalls to avoid.
- Microsoft to expand local customer service. Martinez, Jose // Caribbean Business;10/14/1999, Vol. 27 Issue 40, p41
Focuses on the plan of technology company, Microsoft Caribbean to increase the number of its customer support and consulting services employees. Element of a strategy for the millennium; Growth of the revenue base of the company.
- Temporary staffing offers means to fill short-term, permanent needs. Simpson, Catherine // Fort Worth Business Press;10/5/2001, Vol. 14 Issue 24, p11
Discusses the continued growth of the temporary employee market to include more professionals and skilled workers. Hiring of temporary workers as a way of testing position matches before hiring full time; Seminars on the topic of temporary employment.
- The star island pelicans. Toensing, Amy // Yankee;Jun2001, Vol. 65 Issue 5, p44
Reports on summer jobs on Star Island, a Rockingham County, New Hampshire resort owned by Star Island Corp. Attractions of the jobs; Selection and duties of the so-called Star Island Pelicans; Assumption of responsibilities as part of a larger community; Competition for employment.
- Now's the Time to Think Staffing. Zappe, John // Fordyce Letter;Oct2012, Vol. 41 Issue 10, p2
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the issue on topics including marketing of temporary employees for start-up recruitment firms, employee recruitment strategies, and success in recruiting employees.