Category-Generation Performance of Bilingual Children: The Influence of Condition, Category, and Language
- French-English bilingual acquisition of phonology: One production system or two? In�s Brulard; Philip Carr // International Journal of Bilingualism;Jun2003, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p177
We examine the onset, atrophy and possible interaction of a set of patterns in the speech of our child (Tom) acquiring French and English, from first words (1;8.0 - 1;10.0) until 2;6.0. The patterns are: (a) consonant harmony (CH ); (b) reduplication (R ED U P), (c) an iambic stress contour (IAM...
- Tungjatjeta! Merhaba! Hello! // Educational Leadership;Sep2011, Vol. 69 Issue 1, p9
The article presents information on the use of language handbooks by teachers in Zurich, Switzerland, where a large percentage of students speak foreign languages, such as Albanian, Turkish, and Thai, at home.
- Help another mum. // Australian Parents;Aug/Sep2000, p16
Presents pieces of advice on parenting a bilingual child. Reason young children are like sponges; Suggestion when speaking to a child in another language.
- AT A LOSS FOR WORDS? Bjerklie, David // Time;5/23/2005, Vol. 165 Issue 21, p79
Mentions a study at the University of Alberta on bilingual children. Finding that they used their hands more when telling stories in their stronger language, which suggest that gesturing while talking improves access to language.
- Too Early for a Third Language? Ziersch, Claudia // Bilingual Family Newsletter;2006, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p5
The article seeks an advice regarding a bilingual child interested in learning the Spanish language. It states that learning Spanish lessons in a relaxed way would not put any pressure on the child. However, it is important to make sure that the child's proficiency in her languages are high...
- Bilingualism and Autism. Camshron, Domhnall // Bilingual Family Newsletter;2005, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p7
Focuses on the bilingual upbringing of an autistic child. Effects of learning or communication difficulties on bilingualism; Cultural benefits of bilingualism.
- Bilingual Children Are Often Misdiagnosed. // USA Today Magazine;Dec2002, Vol. 131 Issue 2691, p13
Reports that University of Texas at Austin professor Elizabeth PeÃ±a is working to develop better ways to assess language skills in bilingual children and make sure that those genuine learning problems get the help they need. Result of overidentifying or under identifying language impairment...
- Lexical--Semantic Organization in Bilingual Children: Evidence From a Repeated Word Association Task. firstname.lastname@example.org, Li Sheng; McGregor, Karla K.; Marian, Viorica // Journal of Speech, Language & Hearing Research;Jun2006, Vol. 49 Issue 3, p572
Purpose: This study examined lexical-semantic organization of bilingual children in their 2 languages and in relation to monolingual age-mates. Method: Twelve Mandarin-English bilingual and 12 English monolingual children generated 3 associations to each of 36 words. Responses were coded as...
- SOCIOLINGUISTIC DEVELOPMENT AND GENDER IDENTIFICATION IN CHILDHOOD:A BILINGUAL CASE STUDY (BIRTH TO AGE 10). Fcmtini, AIvino E. // Bilingual Review;May-Aug2012/2013, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p99
Over the past fifty years, sociolinguists have done much to clarify the nexus between language and cultural norms. Nowhere is this clearer than in studies that address expressive styles and gender issues. With few exceptions, however, most works focus on the fully formed language of adult...