Wide Range of Measures Get the OK
- Wisconsin fund could lead charge for open balloting. Burr, Barry B. // Pensions & Investments;8/19/2002, Vol. 30 Issue 17, p4
Focuses on the plan of an open access to corporate proxy ballots. Consideration of corporate governance focus issues; Preference to develop nominating committees of the board of directors; Solicitation process for director-candidates nominated by shareholders.
- The drumbeat of direct democracy. Pipho, Chris // Phi Delta Kappan;Oct94, Vol. 76 Issue 2, p102
Explains the principle of direct democracy via the ballot in petitioning for constitutional amendments or new laws. States which allow citizen initiative; Issue of direct democracy for sale; Ballot issues in several states for 1994; Future of representative government.
- Ballot Complications. Jacobson, Louis // National Journal;12/04/99, Vol. 31 Issue 49, p3488
Looks at two cases pertaining to issues on statewide ballot initiatives in the United States. Ruling of the Supreme Judicial Court in Massachusetts on when a ballot initiative can be rendered invalid; Decision of Massachusetts Secretary of State William F. Galvin in disqualifying a signature...
- More political clout for minorities? Erlich, Reese // Christian Science Monitor;9/10/96, Vol. 88 Issue 200, p3
Reports on plans for San Francisco residents to vote on a proposed preferential voting scheme for electing local leaders in November 1996. Terms of the voting scheme; Arguments raised for and against the proposal; Significance of the scheme for the rest of the United States; Implications of...
- Making elections more democratic. // Natural Life;May/Jun99, Issue 67, p3
Reports on the preferential ballot voting system which is being proposed by an organization in Stratford, Ontario to replace the balloting system in Canadian federal elections. Aim of installing candidates who also gain the majority of the second and third choices of voters; Other advantages.
- Teaching Blair a lesson. Oakes, Laurie // Bulletin with Newsweek;06/19/2001, Vol. 119 Issue 6279, p21
Focuses on the advantages of preferential voting on electoral system in Australia. Reluctance of young voters to cast a ballot; Impact of the voting system on the success of political candidates; Plan of the British government to adapt the preferential voting system.
- Making a difference in school board elections. Richie, Rob // New York Amsterdam News;3/9/96, Vol. 87 Issue 10, p13
Opinion. Focuses on preference voting in school board elections in New York. Key features of preference voting; Reasons for the limited participation of New Yorkers in school board elections.
- ALERT!!! // Political Intelligence Briefing;12/04/2013, p1
In this article, the author asks the readers to refer Election Central column of the journal which covers "Special U.S. Election Report: The Road to the White House" related to 2012 presidential and congressional elections in the U.S.
- Social and economic determinants of English voter choice in the 1997 general election. Fielding, David // Public Choice;Mar2000, Vol. 102 Issue 3/4, p271
Discusses the social and economic determinants of English voter choice in the 1997 general election. Estimation of constituency-level voting share equations on socio-economic characteristics; Changes in the traditional voting patterns; Reasons behind the decline in the Labor Party popularity.