Record labels are tapping into the World Cup fever
- PITCH BATTLES. Ferguson, Tom; Fernandez-Bitar, Marcelo; Spahr, Wolfgang // Billboard;5/29/2010, Vol. 122 Issue 21, p34
The article discusses how music merchants in Great Britain, Argentina and Germany plan to combat falling music album sales as a result of the summer season and the 2010 World Cup.
- World Cup and Jubilee hit Q2 sales. Ashton, Robert // Music Week;8/17/2002, Issue 32, p1
Reports on the impact of the World Cup and Golden Jubilee celebrations on the music industry in Great Britain. Decrease in sales records; Value of album shipments; Global trend of falling music business.
- Vuvuzela power! Cullum, Barney // New African;Jul2010, Issue 497, p50
The article discusses the phenomenon created by vuvuzela during the 2010 World Cup in Johannesburg, South Africa. It states that emergence of the vuvuzela is making significance during the World Cup. It indicates that the shape of the instrument is believed to descend from the kudu horn, usually...
- Artists line up to unleash World Cup 2010 anthems. Otter, Charlotte // Music Week;5/8/2010, Issue 18, p4
The article reports on the announcement made by FIFA regarding "This Time for Africa," which will be the official song of the World Cup 2010, to be performed by Shakira featuring Freshlyground.
- Greece. Carr, John; Sinclair, David // Billboard;7/2/94, Vol. 106 Issue 27, p65
Focuses on `Yassou Ellada,' Greece's anthem sung when the country earned a place for the first time in the World Cup championships. Domestic superstar Yannis Parios as performer; Sales record; Minos EMI's expectation of good sales record among Greek-Americans.
- Sony's Ricky Martin, Youssou N'Dour chosen to provide World Cup music. Lorenz, Christian // Billboard;12/20/97, Vol. 109 Issue 51, p76
States that Sony Music Europe will provide the international theme song for the 1998 World Cup soccer tournament and the French anthem. The tournament to feature Ricky Martin's `The Cup of Life' song; Youssou N'Dour and Axelle Red's `La Cour Des Grands,' the official French anthem for the...
- Sony hopes to score via `Allez!' Pride, Dominic; Lorenz, Christian; Llewellyn, Howell // Billboard;04/25/98, Vol. 110 Issue 17, p49
Reports on Sony Music's exploitation of the summer, 1998 World Cup football tournament. Worldwide release of international compilation album, `Allez! Ola! Ole!'; Expected unprecedented draw of the 1998 tournament; Album to introduce global audiences to new music from other countries; Features...
- World Cup proves to be global distraction for music biz. Pride, Dominic; Lannert, John; Bouton, Remi; Lofthus, Kai R.; Llewellyn, Howell; Spahr, Wolfgang // Billboard;06/27/98, Vol. 110 Issue 26, p87
Presents information on the 1998 World Cup soccer tournament. How the world's largest global media event is hurting music businesses; Why traditional football strongholds in Europe and Latin America have been the worst hit; Football-related albums which should boost sales; Comments of Gerolamo...
- Retailers braced for World Cup impact. Cardew, Ben // Music Week;6/10/2006, Issue 23, p3
The article reports on the plan of music retailers to prepare for the impact of the World Cup in England. As retailers face the prospect of an England game during the busiest trading period of the week, some retailers fear that the tournament could be harmful for sales. According to an owner of...