MASSACHUSETTS: Swift Override
- Massachusetts Governor: $514M in Cuts Necessary. Burton, Paul // Bondbuyer.com;2/4/2015, p30
The article presents the plan of Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker to impose spending cuts worth $514 million aimed at sealing the state's budget gap for 2015 fiscal year worth $768 million. The topics discussed include the 7.7% rise of the state's expenditures, the remarks of the state's...
- Illinois Net Position Deficit Deeper In Red. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;3/18/2014, Vol. 123 Issue 34077, p1
The article focuses on the overall net financial position of U.S. states such as Illinois, Massachusetts and Texas as of March 2014. Topics discussed include the opinion of Illinois auditor general William Holland on the net negative position of Illinois, 25.9 billion U.S. dollars deficit...
- Baker: Massachusetts Must Tackle Deficit. Burton, Paul // Bondbuyer.com;1/08/2015, p27
The article discusses the vision of Republican Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker and lieutenant governor Karyn Polito for reducing the state's projected fiscal 2015 deficit. He is reported to have urged lawmakers and officials at the State House to use growth to support the budget even as the...
- Report: Massachusetts' Budget Deficit Could Climb to $2.1 Billion in 2003. Peacock, Wayne // Bond Buyer;1/22/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31308, p3
Cites a report by an independent watchdog group, Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation on Massachusetts' economy released on January 16, 2002. Estimated budget deficit in 2003; Difficulties in managing the state's fiscal deficit in 2003; Reasons cited for a decrease in revenues.
- What's Behind the State's 'Big Shrink'. Friar, John // BusinessWest;7/18/2011, p12
In this article the author highlights two factors explains a significant portion of Massachusetts' stagnant economic growth.
- The Massachusetts debacle. Mysak, J. // American Spectator;Jan1990, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p34
Discusses the downgrading of Massachusetts bonds due to the state's financial problems, and how long it took Wall Street to make the downgrade. History of financial problems; Conspiracy of silence among rating agencies; Role of politics; Future of Massachusetts economy.
- Colour sensitive. Baker, Ken // IPA Review;Summer91, Vol. 44 Issue 2, p24
Explains the correction on the 1991 reprinted issue in the American magazine, `Harper's' about Massachusetts budget crisis.
- Massachusetts is talking... Zeman, N. // Newsweek;12/18/1989, Vol. 114 Issue 25, p7
Reports that Massachusetts residents are talking about the state government's huge financial mess and ill-fated efforts to raise taxes to remedy the crisis.
- Looking for Cash Flow Amid Budget Battles. Peacock, Wayne // Bond Buyer;2/11/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31322, p14A
Focuses on the economic condition of Massachusetts in the fiscal year 2002. Projected fiscal 2002 budget deficit; Incidents that forced the state to issue an interim budget; Plans of the state governor for an early economy recovery.