Wisconsin Committee to Review Heartland Deal Audit Findings
- Quitting Shareholders Threaten Heartland High-Yield Funds. Fine, Jacob // Bond Buyer;02/22/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31082, p1
Reports that Heartland Advisors Inc. is considering the liquidation or merger of its high-yield municipal bond funds. Possible reduction in the funds' expense ratios with the expected shareholder redemption; Devaluation of the bond.
- Controversial Co-Manager Severs Ties With Heartland. Fine, Jacob // Bond Buyer;7/3/2001, Vol. 337 Issue 31173, p1
Reports on the resignation of Greg Winston as co-manager of Heartland Advisors Inc. Seizure of Heartland Group Inc.'s four municipal bond funds by the United States Securities and Exchange Commission; Failure of the firm to provide shareholders with audited financial statements.
- History lessons. Wang, Penelope // Money;Nov2003, Vol. 32 Issue 12, p68
Long before Eliot Spitzer began subpoenaing fund companies, one of the worst scandals involved Heartland Advisors. In 2000 two of its high-yield municipal bond funds plunged 40% and 70%, respectively, in a single day. Three years later, Heartland has not yet fully recovered, even though it has...
- Heartland Seeks Dismissal. Hume, Lynn; Fine, Jacob // Bond Buyer;2/25/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31828, p1
The investment adviser Heartland Advisors Inc., its founder William J. Nasgovitz and six other officers, portfolio managers, and related individuals are urging a federal court in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, to dismiss the securities fraud and other charges the Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC)...
- SEC's Bond Pricing 'Sweep' Hume, Lynne // Bond Buyer;3/11/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31839, p1
Reports that the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) is investigating high-yield municipal bond funds' interactions with pricing services as part of an examination sweep of bond funds' pricing practices that it launched in response to the Heartland Advisors Inc. case. Testimony by Lori A....
- Update. Topkis, Maggie // Money;Feb2004, Vol. 33 Issue 2, p46
Reports on the return of a three-year old fund scandal. In December the SEC filed civil charges against eight current or former Heartland Advisors employees, including president and fund manager William Nasgovitz. Unlike the other fund companies in trouble these days, Heartland is accused of...
- Heartland, CEO Deny SEC Fraud Allegations. Lynn Hume, Elizabeth; Fine, Jacob // Bond Buyer;2/24/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31827, p1
Reports that Heartland Advisors Inc. and its president William J. Nasgovitz denied allegations by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) that they mispriced and made misrepresentations about high-yield bond funds that lost about $93 million for shareholders over a two-week period in...
- Embracing health care. Karchmer, Jennifer // Bond Buyer;04/30/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30631, p1
Reports on the investments of Heartland Advisors Inc. Investments in nursing homes, continuing care retirement centers, hospitals and mental health facilities; Sectors that are less susceptible in the downturn of the economy.
- Wisconsin Investment Board May Drop High-Risk Portfolio, Director Says. Fine, Jacob // Bond Buyer;12/17/2001, Vol. 338 Issue 31286, p35
Reports on plans of Wisconsin Investment Board to eliminate a high-risk portfolio that had used Wisconsin Retirement System fund to purchase several defaulted bonds from Heartland Group Inc. Comments of Patricia Lipton, executive director of the board on the issue; Issues related to the audit...