Virginia: Roanoke's Share
- Road bill could pave the way for larger DOT issue. Meisler, Daniel // Bond Buyer;03/31/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30610, p4
Reports that Virginia Governor James Gilmore has signed a pared-down road bond bill. Raising of the debt authorization for two highway programs; Backing from appropriations from the general fund.
- White History Month Revoked. Joiner, Lottie // New Crisis (15591603);Jul/Aug2001, Vol. 108 Issue 4, p16
Reports on the move of Virginia Governor James S. Gilmore III to rescind a proclamation declaring May 'European American Heritage and History Month.' Reason for rescinding the proclamation; White separatist group who support the proclamation.
- Outgoing Virginia Governor Pushes $1 Billion Bond Plan for Higher Ed . Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;1/11/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31302, p3
Focuses on the proposal of Virginia's Governor James S. Gilmore for state lawmakers to enact higher education bond package. Debate to eliminate budget shortfall for the fiscal year 2002; Aim of the bond to build technologically advanced college campuses.
- Gilmore vs. Beyer. Wepman, Noah // Campaigns & Elections (1996);Dec97/Jan98, Vol. 18 Issue 10, p34
Examines how Republican Jim Gilmore won the Virginia Governorship against Democrat Don Beyer. Things promised by Gilmore and Beyer during their campaigns; Reason why many local polls gave Beyer the edge; Reason why Beyer lost the election.
- Va. gubernatorial hopefuls debate education. Portner, Jessica // Education Week;10/22/97, Vol. 17 Issue 8, p10
Focuses on the debate on education between Virginia gubernatorial candidates, former Attorney General James S. Gilmore and Lt. Governor Donald S. Beyer Jr., in the 1997 gubernatorial elections in the United States. Gilmore's support to the state's standards on school accreditation; Beyer's...
- Gilmore denies 'blackout' of NNPA newspaper. Edney, Hazel Trice // New York Amsterdam News;05/24/2001, Vol. 92 Issue 21, p49
Reports on the denial by Virginia Governor Jim Gilmore, chairman of the Republican National Committee, of an alleged news blackout policy towards the black newspaper 'The Richmond Free Press.' Statement by Gilmore's spokeswoman Lila White that the governor's office does not recognize 'The...
- Paving Virginia's Future. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;04/06/2000, Vol. 332 Issue 30865, p1
Focuses on Virginia General Assembly's approval of a bill authorizing Virginia to issue grant anticipation revenue vehicle bonds. Pressure from frustrated motorists; Speculation on Governor James Gilmore's stand on the bill; Funds for transport needs of the state.
- Virginians `think local' in choosing a governor. Feldmann, Linda // Christian Science Monitor;10/29/97, Vol. 89 Issue 234, p4
Looks at the race between Democrat Donald Beyer and Republican James Gilmore for governor of Virginia in 1997. The importance of local issues in the election; Factors which have hindered Beyer's success; The issues which each has focused on; What the election can teach both parties how to...
- Governor's race set. // State Government News;Jun/Jul97, Vol. 40 Issue 5, p17
Reports on the scheduled gubernatorial race in Virginia in November 1997. Rivalry between Republican James S. Gilmore III and Donald Beyer Jr.