Soul 2 Soul: A Post-Modern Exegete in Search of (New Testament) Soul
- Shore leave. Camille, Alice // U.S. Catholic;Jan2002, Vol. 67 Issue 1, p43
Discusses the gospel regarding Jesus Christ's invitation of some Galilean fishermen to cast their nets and catch more than fish. What the invitation implies.
- THE ASCENSION OF CHRIST AND PENTECOST. Fitzmyer, Joseph A. // Theological Studies;Sep84, Vol. 45 Issue 3, p409
Examines information from the Book of the New Testament about the ascension of Jesus Christ. References to the phase of Christ's existence following his burial; Assertions of the exaltation to heavenly glory; Meaning of the Ascension in the New Testament passages.
- CONFLICTING MYTHOLOGIES: MYTHICAL NARRATIVE IN THE GOSPEL OF MARK. // Journal for the Study of the New Testament;Dec2001, Issue 84, p29
Focuses on the mythical narrative in the gospel of Mark. Complexity of the relationship different mythologies; Interpretation of New Testament texts; Definition of myth.
- THE LAW KILLS BUT THE GOSPEL GIVES LIFE: THE LETTER-SPIRIT DUALISM IN 2 CORINTHIANS 3.5-18. // Journal for the Study of the New Testament;Dec2001, Issue 84, p97
Focuses on the interpretation of 2 Corinthians 3.5-18. Dualism between law and gospel; Difficulties of the competing interpretations in accounting all the evidence; Arguments for the traditional interpretation.
- THE APOCRYPHAL APOCALYPSE OF JOHN: A BYZANTINE APOCALYPSE FROM THE EARLY ISLAMIC PERIOD. Whealey, Alice // Journal of Theological Studies;Oct2002, Vol. 53 Issue 2, p533
Examines the provenance of the New Testament apocryphal 'Apocalypse' attributed to John of Patmos. Annotated translation of the apocalypse in the book 'The Book of Revelation and the Johannine Apocalyptic Tradition,' by John Court; Pseudo-John concern with the protection of icons, protection of...
- The gospel(s) according to Paul. Bishop, Jonathan // Anglican Theological Review;Summer94, Vol. 76 Issue 3, p296
Analyzes the gospel(s) according to Paul. Issues of argument on the gospels of Paul; Comparisons between the justification of faith and participation in Christ; Redefinition of the justice of God; Proposals regarding the wisdom of God as the body of Christ; Jonathan Edward's redefinition of...
- The Reception of Luke and Acts and the Unity of Luke-Acts. Gregory, Andrew // Journal for the Study of the New Testament;Jun2007, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p459
This article argues that Irenaeus and the author of the Muratorian Fragment each read Luke and Acts as two elements of one literary whole, but that Irenaeus's understanding of what this literary unity entails appears to have been different from that of many modern scholarly readings of...
- Use It or Lose It! Bergant, Dianne // America;11/7/2005, Vol. 193 Issue 14, p46
Presents reflections on the gospel readings for November 13, 2005, the thirty-third Sunday in Ordinary Time. Background on the readings; Implications of the readings; Suggested prayer.
- Noah's Library: Sources for 1 Enoch 6--11. Bhayro, Siam // Journal for the Study of the Pseudepigrapha;May2006, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p163
This article presents three case studies that explore the literary antecedents to 1 Enoch 6-11. The first case suggests that we can see a clear Mesopotamian influence on this narrative, while the second extends our understanding of the manner in which the author was incorporating rewritten...