THE LATEST RESEARCH ON: DIET & IMMUNITY
- Immunity boosting. Applegate, Liz // Runner's World;Dec97, Vol. 32 Issue 12, p24
Reports that diet influences the ability to withstand invading bacteria, germs and viruses. Levels of immune system; Almonds as an excellent source of vitamin E; How eating plenty of bananas will help to get enough vitamin B6; Tuna as the best protein buys around; Benefits from eating oranges;...
- Immunity & nutrition. Rubin, Karen Wilk // FoodService Director;02/15/99, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p80
Examines the immune-boosting action of supplements, vitamins and antioxidants. Factors that affect immunity; Negative effects of excesses of some nutrients; Roles of antioxidants in disease protection; Best food sources of needed nutrients; List of needed nutrients; Sources of antibodies; Tips...
- ask Dr. Weil. Weil, Andrew // Prevention;Dec2005, Vol. 57 Issue 12, p74
This article presents answers about whether or not green tea is the only kind that is good for you. All colors of tea make healthful beverages. The lightest leaves of green and white are the least processed and retain more disease-protective polyphenols and other antioxidants. Black teas include...
- SOME OBSERVATIONS ON DENTAL CARIES IN CENTRAL CHINA. AFONSKY, D. // Journal of Dental Research;Feb1951, Vol. 30 Issue 1, p53
The article discusses a study which found a low incidence of dental cavities in youth and young-adult students in Changsha, China. Statistics for carious teeth and sound teeth are compared with those of a similar age group in England. Topics include: geographic variations for caries in China; a...
- Fourteen ways to enrich your diet. // New York Amsterdam News;1/14/2010, Vol. 101 Issue 3, p32
The article offers information on 14 ways to enrich one's diet with the aid of antioxidants which was provided by the Medical Society of the State of New York (MSSNY).
- Study of Alkylglycerol Containing Shark Liver Oil: A Physico Chemical Support for Biological Effect? Debouzy, Jean-Claude; Crouzier, David; Lefebvre, Bertrand; Dabouis, Vincent // Drug Target Insights;2008, Issue 3, p125
Shark liver oil (SLO), is used in natural medicine as immunity stimulant, cardiovascular protector and anti ageing reagent. These properties were related with the high amounts of alkylglycerols (22%) obtained from Greenland shark liver. After a control of the mean SLO composition by NMR and MS,...
- Calorie restriction and susceptibility to intact pathogens. Kristan, Deborah M. // Age;2008, Vol. 30 Issue 2/3, p147
Long-term calorie restriction (CR) causes numerous physiological changes that ultimately increase mean and maximum lifespan of most species examined to date. One physiological change that occurs with CR is enhanced immune function, as tested using antigens and mitogens to stimulate an immune...
- Diet restriction in mice causes differential tissue responses in total reducing power and antioxidant compounds. Dubnov, G.; Berry, Elliot M.; Kohen, R. // European Journal of Nutrition;2000, Vol. 39 Issue 1, p18
Provides information on a study which examined diet restriction changes in total reducing power and overall direct antioxidant capacity of various mouse tissues. Materials and methods used in the study; Results and discussion.
- LETTER from LONDON. Dixon, Bernard // Sciences;Jan/Feb77, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p32
Comments on the consequences of aging research in Great Britain. Significance of diet and antioxidants on increasing human life expectancy; Impact of human life span extension on population growth; Assessment on appropriateness of fund allocation on relieving discomfort of old age.