News In Brief: Academic Panel: U.S. in Recession
- No Saving Crisis In The United States. Rippe, Richard D. // Business Economics;Jul99, Vol. 34 Issue 3, p47
Discusses the saving crisis in the United States. Decline in personal savings; Assessment of the household wealth; Policy implications of the saving situation.
- Understanding the Postwar Decline in U.S. Saving; A Cohort Analysis. Gokhale, Jagadeesh; Kotlikoff, Laurence J. // Brookings Papers on Economic Activity;1996, Issue 1, p315
Examines the decline in national saving rate in the United States during the postwar period. Annuitization of the elderly's resources and their increased propensity to consumer; Implications of projected demographic change for future saving rates.
- Are we saving and investing too little? BROWNE, LYNNE // Regional Review;1998 3rd Quarter, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p5
Analyzes savings and investment in the United States. Average personal saving rate in 1998; Comparisons with the saving rates of early 1990s and 1980s; Reasons people save; Ways for individuals to build wealth; Importance of savings to the economy; Increases in business and government saving;...
- Americans are not saving: Should we worry? Velde, Francois R. // Chicago Fed Letter;May99, Issue 141, p1
Comments on the drop in the personal savings rate in the United States from 1990 to 1999. Measuring personal savings; Reasons personal saving rate is so low; Relation to investments and consumption; Impact on the national level.
- New Poll Finds Pessimism About Economy. // BusinessWest;12/5/2011, p63
The article focuses on the telephone survey of Western New England University Polling Institute in New England, Massachusetts on the idea of New England citizens on the U.S. economy where 90% of the respondents rate the economy as bad or fairly bad.
- How to make money in 1995. Sivy, Michael // Money;Forecast 1995, Vol. 23 Issue 13, p26
Forecasts the financial scenario for 1995. Economy's growth rate; Inflation; Federal Reserve's short-term interest rate hikes; Return on blue chips; Small stocks; Mutual funds; Foreign stocks; Bond prices; Investment advice.
- Is the United States a rotten saver? Sommers, Albert T. // Across the Board;Apr94, Vol. 31 Issue 4, p15
Comments on the personal saving rate in the United States. Criticism on the American personal savings rate; Functions of the personal saving rate; Expenditure rates on health care; International comparisons; National net saving and national investment rate; Measure of capital consumption.
- Market Report. // Traffic World;3/8/99, Vol. 257 Issue 10, p51
Presents a market report on United States economy. Percentage loss of Dow Jones Industrial Average; Traffic World Stock Index edged down; Declining issues.
- The low US savings rate? No (immediate) problem. Francis, David // Christian Science Monitor;2/4/98, Vol. 90 Issue 48, p19
Opinion. Discusses the apparent low savings rate in the United States in the late 1990s and why it is not as important as overall investment. Concerns about the relatively low increases in productivity; How foreign investment has helped US businesses; How the after-inflation values of both...