Sterilization of the Retarded: A Problem or a Solution?
- Buck v. Bell, Superintendent. // Buck v. Bell, Superintendent;2009, p1
Presents the text of Buck v. Bell, a 1927 United States Supreme Court case involving the forced sterilization of the mentally retarded. Issues involved in the case; Decision of the court.
- Social cleansing. Cockburn, Alexander // New Statesman & Society;8/5/94, Vol. 7 Issue 314, p16
Discusses the implications of sterilization laws in the United States. Compulsory sterilization; Issues on social cleansing; Social cleansing legislation in the United States; 94-birth monthly reduction in New Jersey; Sterilization programs in different states.
- Brazilians offered free sterilisation. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);08/23/97, Vol. 315 Issue 7106, p446
Reports on Brazil President Henrique Cardosa's signing of a law granting free sterilization to men and women over 25 years of age who have more than two children.
- Rivera v. New York. // American Journal of Law & Medicine;Fall78, Vol. 4 Issue 3, p280
Reports on a New York Court of Claims' ruling on a case involving a physician's alleged negligence in the performance of a female sterilization procedure. Details of the case; Legal precedents; Implications for policies governing sterilization in medicine.
- What's eating Jon Havelock? Sheremata, Davis // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;04/06/98, Vol. 25 Issue 16, p10
Focuses on Jon Havelock, Alberta's justice minister, and his introduction of the Institutional Confinement and Sexual Sterilization Compensation Act, known as Bill 26. The purpose of Bill 26; Factors enabling Bill 26 to slip into the legislature; Critics' complaints about the bill and Havelock.
- Is sterilization the answer? Jacoby, T.; Springen, K. // Newsweek;8/8/1988, Vol. 112 Issue 6, p59
Discusses a controversial suggestion by Indiana Superior Court Judge Roy F. Jones that Melody Baldwin, 29, receive a reduced sentence for the poisoning of her 4-year-old son if she is sterilized. Baldwin case and controversy; Similar cases;Constitutional basis.
- Sterilization laws gain steam. // DVM: The Newsmagazine of Veterinary Medicine;Sep2011, Vol. 42 Issue 9, p42
The article offers news briefs related to bills that are promoting animal sterilization in the U.S. which include Senate Bill 550, a sterilization law and a sterilization bill.
- Sweden will end trans sterilization. // Empty Closet;Mar2012, Issue 454, p12
The article reports that the Swedish government decided to revoke the sterilization of transgender Swedes on February 18, 2012.
- Sociology. BLAKELY, PAUL L. // America;3/16/1935, Vol. 52 Issue 23, p544
The article discusses the proposition that sterilization has shown by its results that it is a most valuable means of imoproving the human race. It states that 31 states in the U.S. have at various times adopted a legislation providing sterilization for all who by the laws of heredity are...