Sterilization of the Retarded: A Problem or a Solution?
- Buck v. Bell, Superintendent. // Buck v. Bell, Superintendent;2009, p1
Presents the text of Buck v. Bell, a 1927 United States Supreme Court case involving the forced sterilization of the mentally retarded. Issues involved in the case; Decision of the court.
- Social cleansing. Cockburn, Alexander // New Statesman & Society;8/5/94, Vol. 7 Issue 314, p16
Discusses the implications of sterilization laws in the United States. Compulsory sterilization; Issues on social cleansing; Social cleansing legislation in the United States; 94-birth monthly reduction in New Jersey; Sterilization programs in different states.
- Brazilians offered free sterilisation. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);08/23/97, Vol. 315 Issue 7106, p446
Reports on Brazil President Henrique Cardosa's signing of a law granting free sterilization to men and women over 25 years of age who have more than two children.
- Era of greater openness in mental capacity judgements. // Learning Disability Practice;Sep2011, Vol. 14 Issue 7, p6
In this article, the author discusses the role of the Court of Protection in Great Britain in managing the health and quality of life by people with learning disabilities. He claims that the court was established by the Mental Capacity Act of 2005 to decide on the health care and personal...
- Rivera v. New York. // American Journal of Law & Medicine;Fall78, Vol. 4 Issue 3, p280
Reports on a New York Court of Claims' ruling on a case involving a physician's alleged negligence in the performance of a female sterilization procedure. Details of the case; Legal precedents; Implications for policies governing sterilization in medicine.
- What's eating Jon Havelock? Sheremata, Davis // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;04/06/98, Vol. 25 Issue 16, p10
Focuses on Jon Havelock, Alberta's justice minister, and his introduction of the Institutional Confinement and Sexual Sterilization Compensation Act, known as Bill 26. The purpose of Bill 26; Factors enabling Bill 26 to slip into the legislature; Critics' complaints about the bill and Havelock.
- Is sterilization the answer? Jacoby, T.; Springen, K. // Newsweek;8/8/1988, Vol. 112 Issue 6, p59
Discusses a controversial suggestion by Indiana Superior Court Judge Roy F. Jones that Melody Baldwin, 29, receive a reduced sentence for the poisoning of her 4-year-old son if she is sterilized. Baldwin case and controversy; Similar cases;Constitutional basis.
- Sweden will end trans sterilization. // Empty Closet;
The article reports that the Swedish government decided to revoke the sterilization of transgender Swedes on February 18, 2012.
- Exploring gray areas in the law about DSD and sterilization. Tamar-Mattis, Anne // Endocrine Today;Oct2009, Vol. 7 Issue 12, p8
The author explains the legal implications of gonadectomy or sterilization in differences of sex development cases.